Ransomware and linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Ransomware and linux

Post by HappyLinux »

I know I know. This is a topic discussed dozens, if not hundreds of times. Viruses, spyware, malware, etc. They currently have little to no effect on linux for many reasons.

However, you may have noticed in the news lately, that Ransomware has been on the increase lately. I'm hearing about a new ransomware at least once a month, in different forms. I remember last year I got called out to sort out my dad's computer that had one. Fortunately, it wasn't one of those that encrypt everything on your hard drives, but one that simply blocks your desktop. With the use of a second computer to search the internet, I managed to remove it in about 3 hours.

Ransomware is mainly on Windows at the moment, but I hear they're on the increase for Apples OSX, and Android. I wonder how long it'll be until Linux starts getting hit??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Ransomware and linux

Post by Cosmo. »

You can get very old, if wait for something for Linux.

Best countermeasures: Install security update - especially for browser, e-mail-client and browser-plugins (flash) as soon as possible, don't visit suspicious web-sites, don't click on any link, especially inside mails, which you did not expected or even better, delete those mails before reading or - if at all - read mails only in text-only format. Install software only from trusted places.

And: Make regularly backups!
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

HappyLinux wrote:I wonder how long it'll be until Linux starts getting hit??
Linux users are tiny in number and are usually very skilled compared to an average computer user, they are simply very bad targets for people who make ransom-ware.

Go after the windows and mac users, they're more numerous and dumber!
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

There lays my problem. I use Windows, Linux and Android. My Laptop is Win8.1, Desktop is Dual boo between Win8.1 and Mint 17.2. Android is obviously on my phone and tablet. I'd get a Mac if it wasn't for the extortionate price.

This means I have to be careful, even when running Linux. Even if Linux is immune (for now) to viruses etc, it can still be a carrier. So I'm always thinking about security.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Any computer is only as 'safe' as the nut behind the keyboard.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

HappyLinux wrote:I wonder how long it'll be until Linux starts getting hit??
As soon as number of stupid users of Linux approach numbers of stupid Windows users. Smart users nothing to fear. In Windows too.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

HappyLinux wrote:So I'm always thinking about security.
This is always a good precondition. Now take my advices, they are important especially for weak OS's
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

HappyLinux wrote:Even if Linux is immune (for now) to viruses etc, it can still be a carrier. So I'm always thinking about security.
If you have a descent antivirus on your PC (i think the default in windows is pretty good nowadays) you should be okay.

I'd say ransomware for android is hard, since most users only get verified apps from the store, and those phones have a strict permission system if they are unrooted.

I don't think ransomware is going to effect someone like you, you seem smart enough to do a tiny bit of research, instead of just blindly installing stuff.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi HappyLinux,

I just read your post and the good replies. Here are my thoughts on this too.

You can also install anti-virus software on Linux if you want to. You can also "sandbox" certain applications, like browsers, email clients, & other stuff that accesses the internet which would prevent Ransomware from hurting your system.

Like the others have already stated, never open an email attachment or web link that you are not familiar with.

How to sandbox Firefox on Linux Mint?
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=202257

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Habitual wrote:Any computer is only as 'safe' as the nut behind the keyboard.
Very true.
Chiefahol wrote:If you have a descent antivirus on your PC (i think the default in windows is pretty good nowadays) you should be okay.
I'd say ransomware for android is hard, since most users only get verified apps from the store, and those phones have a strict permission system if they are unrooted.
I don't think ransomware is going to effect someone like you, you seem smart enough to do a tiny bit of research, instead of just blindly installing stuff.
Trend Micro on all of the Windows and Tablets, but not Linux obviously. I also have 2 different spyware scanners on all of the computers. Spybot and Malwarebytes. Well, not Spybot on Android. Also on Windows, I have Malwarebytes AntiExploit. However, these are only the free versions, but I scan weekly, or if feel the need.

This is getting to be a good chat.

Return to “Chat about Linux”