The Toxicity of Linux Elitism

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: The Toxicity of Linux Elitism

Post by BigEasy »

There is very little that can't be done with Linux these days.
Some of this things is not working wi-fi adapters, printers, laptops, graphic cards, sound cards, e.t.c. (not mention that computers must from time to time make some production for owner, not just conctantly solve installing problems) Yes, I know, it's not fault of Linux. Otherwise Linux is perfect :mrgreen:
What do you do when you installed Linux in your whole office then found your printers don't works? And never will? Pay attention that I don't even tell about applicatons functionalty yet. Just about devices.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

BigEasy wrote:
There is very little that can't be done with Linux these days.
Some of this things is not working wi-fi adapters, printers, laptops, graphic cards, sound cards, e.t.c. (not mention that computers must from time to time make some production for owner, not just conctantly solve installing problems) Yes, I know, it's not fault of Linux. Otherwise Linux is perfect :mrgreen:
What do you do when you installed Linux in your whole office then found your printers don't works? And never will? Pay attention that I don't even tell about applicatons functionalty yet. Just about devices.

I don't quite follow this kind of argument: before installing new operating system (linux or otherwise) at home or in one's office isn't there a testing phase? can't you run all modern distros in live mode to check whether they work with your hardware? besides: does all hardware with no exception work in windows or OSX? are there no issues there whatsoever?
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Any serious Linux user who's made the transition to full-time use of Linux knows to research hardware purchases beforehand.

You wouldn't switch to a propane powered vehicle without checking to see how many propane filling stations there are in your town, would you?
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

MartyMint wrote:Any serious Linux user who's made the transition to full-time use of Linux knows to research hardware purchases beforehand.
Serious Linux user required to use Linux? YES! There is exactly those elitism as topistarter wrote. It's true.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

BigEasy wrote:
MartyMint wrote:Any serious Linux user who's made the transition to full-time use of Linux knows to research hardware purchases beforehand.
Serious Linux user required to use Linux? YES! There is exactly those elitism as topistarter wrote. It's true.
No, it's definitely not.... The vast majority of hardware is Linux compatible and works rightaway.

In most cases, installing and using Linux Mint is easy as can be. Easier than Windows 8.x or even Windows 10, for example. Eminently fit for almost everyone.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

BigEasy wrote: Serious Linux user required to use Linux? YES! There is exactly those elitism as topistarter wrote. It's true.
So what serious Linux user would be required to use Linux?
Linux doesn't force itself on anyone. If you use it, it's by choice.

Anyway, even if everything you said were to be true, isn't it just as "elitist" for most people to be "required" to use MS Windows or OS X for hardware compatibility?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Hardware compatibility is mostly key factor to choose OS. Surely it's just real life, not elitism.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Agree that no sensible person would migrate to X-platform w/o checking the details and testing before some full roll-out. Are commercial entities involved with opensource who specialize in ensuring commercial function in whichever context and scale of enterprise anyway. Of course yes, they expect to be compensated for their effort and skills.

Only an opinion that your ( BigE's) scenario isn't a realistic one in many ways. It's a subject for IT pros to mull over and am 100% any such considerations would be taken into account and addressed accordingly during the process.

OT: Elitism ... just a part of it and guess pretty much always will be, some reasonable, some imo not but think it's completely understandable. There's no shortage of gnu/Linux communities and distro's that are very accepting and patient with computer users of any experience level though ... so it's all good.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

"I've got no problem with it. Hey - some of my best friends are Windows users."
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

I don't think Ceilidh2 was being mean.

He/she is just highlighting that amongst the linux users here, they are well aware that windows is kind of lame privacy-wise. While also explaining that linux software isn't without a lot of problems.

Return to “Chat about Linux”