The Toxicity of Linux Elitism

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmph

The Toxicity of Linux Elitism

Post by kmph »

Inspired by this thread, I am posting a couple of my thoughts about why I dislike "arrogant Linux elitism" and why I think Linux really should be available to everyone. To clarify what I am talking about I put some quotations from the said thread.
avidan2006 wrote:I was floored when I installed my Windows 10 OS only to discover it was packed with logging features that broadcast my private information to Microsoft's "Trusted Partners". The privacy issues, combined with Microsoft's stance that they would decide when I would and would not update my system, made me realize that the Windows I knew was no longer going to be the same. It had become a desktop version of a mobile device. I already have a cell phone, I don't need a giant one on my desk, I need a desktop operating system.
Ceilidh2 wrote:You've come to the wrong place to find people who are hugely sympathetic towards those who are hung up on Window$. There tends to be something of a siege mentality amongst the refugees here.
I dunno - I don't read these forums too heavily, so I can't say if that's true. But I find it probable enough. Assume it is.

I find this disdain towards Windows users very unfair.

First of all, not everyone has to be a "power user". To everyone who thinks that a person who very much values the simplicity of use is "unworthy" to use a computer at all: What kind of a washing machine do you use? Do you use a washing machine that allows you to set everything by hand - the number and speed and interval of drum turnovers? The temperature? How many times and when the rinsing will happen? Etc? Do you exactly set all of this by hand, or do you set up a program for "cotton colors" and allow everything to be set by it?

Kindly understand that for many people the computer is the tool, not the goal. And I see nothing wrong with this approach. For these people, the computer just has to do it's job well, without making them study it, understand it or fight it. Just like the refrigerator. Or a washing machine. Not everyone has to be a hobbyist.

Also note the car example. Many people are hobbyists or have a professional interest in cars. These people know very much about cars and are "car power-users". But many people have other interests. They know about their cars as little as necessary to actually successfully drive from home to work, even if they do not do this with full efficiency. How much do you know about your car?

You just can't be an expert in everything. Why force people to be experts in computing or disdain those who aren't?

To everyone who thinks that if someone doesn't have strong interests in computing Linux just isn't for him.

The reasons enumerated by Avidan state otherwise. There is a large problem of the violation of users' privacy by software manufacturers. Sadly Microsoft seems to have joined that dangerous trend. I believe every person desires to use his computer like any other tool - so that they can be sure their tool doesn't spy on them and that they - not the company - have full control over their tool. So that they can be sure they can install whatever they want and don't have to stomach an uninstallable facebook app (the case of my cellphone). So that they can be sure the company doesn't put preinstalled remote control tools with rights even exceeding the users'. These are normal expectations while using a drill. Or a car, but sadly, cars are becoming another example of tools that have no respect for this right. Or a computer, for that matter. Or a cell phone.

Linux seems to provide at least some hope that it will be fair towards it's users. And that's exactly why Linux must be competitive on the market for normal people.

And don't worry, elitists. You may gleefully dwell in your niche. But only until it happens that whoever doesn't use the software developed by corporations will be excluded. If Linux shuts itself in it's niche, sooner or later it will be marginalised. And that's because of the compatibility issues.

They are a significant problem here. Of course Linux developers are not responsible for all of them, this is also the responsibility of a multitude of other people, some of them having interests in these issues taking place. The biggest problem here is that these problems might lead to Linux failing in it's greatest strength: the ability to actually get things done, whether or not in an user-friendly way. Suddenly we might see the alternative: either we use Linux, or we get things done.

And I'm not a devout Stallman worshipper nor a hater of capitalism. If the software is fair for me, I don't care if it is Free and Open Source or not or if it was developed by a business company or not. Wolfram Mathematica is not FOSS and it is developed by Wolfram Research, Inc. And while I didn't study it, so I can't say for sure, but I find it not very probable that Mathematica is guilty of the crimes I'm ranting against.
Ceilidh2 wrote: Also, for the most part, the programs available to this tiny slice of the non-market were and are developed by amateurs and enthusiasts who really don't give a damn what you want. Why should they? They are just doing it for fun.
Again, I can't judge if this statement is true. Especially since there was some controversy about it in the thread I'm referring to. But if it's true:

Well, if the developers themselves show the finger to the users of their software... Goodbye democratic freedoms, welcome tyranny of the distributors!

Seriously though. I suppose many will disagree with this statement. But if someone wants to do something for himself and just for himself, he simply should not release the results of his work. But as soon as this is done and people start using and needing this piece of work... well, at this point it ceases to be just the author's playground. The author suddenly starts having responsibilities to his users, whether he disclaims it or not. I think in some cases availability trumps property. Note that I don't mean FOSS here - I think the term "property" may also mean the attitude that the author's project is the author's project and therefore he will contribute to it only according to his wishes, and may cease developing it without passing it to somebody else. And, as stated above, there is the need of a user-friedly, useful and fair OS to be available.

Finally, a set of disclaimers. I do not consider Avidan an idiot. I know that Linux Mint values the simplicity of use quite a lot by Linux standards. And I know not every Linux user has the mentality I was criticising. I was addressing only those who do.

P.S. As you can most probably see, I'm not native to English. Very sorry for any problems that arise because of this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: The Toxicity of Linux Elitism

Post by Pjotr »

You won't find much elitism on this forum, rest assured.... Just a bunch of volunteers who are generally helpful towards everybody who seeks help (absolute beginners included). :)

Linux Mint is a fine distribution; at this moment, it's probably the finest that the Linux ecosystem has to offer. Ideal for Windows users who seek a better alternative.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Also, everyone has there opinions, you cannot expect everybody to have the same likes and dislikes, I don't believe there is a disdain against Windows Users, it is probably more peoples frustration with the Windows OS. I have found this community is very friendly and helpful for the most part, with an occasional bad apple ( but that's everywhere )
You said you have not spent much time on this forum, why not look around, and see that most of the posts are in good taste.
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

I agree with Crewp in that I don't see that much of a disdain of Windows users here either. The protestations about Windows 10 are not just the Windows OS either; I sense more of a frustration with where Microsoft is guiding its product lines (e.g. ads in Solitaire? Really?!?). Other than that, I've found the people here to be rather nice, as I was one of those "XP refugees" that sort of stumbled upon Linux Mint.

I still use a standalone XP installation for running my music workstation software, and that's on a Mac via Boot Camp. So I'm all over the place when it comes to OS platforms. They're tools for running useful applications, and I happen to have uses for all of them at this point. Although I have mentioned using Linux to my co-workers (and even showed my netbook running Mint), I haven't criticized other people's choices, and have been honest about Mint's abilities and limitations when asked.

Oh, and by the way, kmph, your English appears fine by me; in fact, it's clearer than what a shockingly high number of my fellow Americans normally exhibit. :D
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You can not expect Windows to get high praise on a Linux forum. It would be no different praising Linux on a Windows forum. There is nothing wrong with people using Windows, it's their choice. Some people have no choice where some devises and applications are concerned, most of us understand that. There are some Linux elitists, they tend to make simple tasks seem more complicated than they really are. Some people that switch to Linux expect it to be a free clone of Windows. They seem to forget that they were not born with the knowledge to run Windows and complain when they have to take the time to learn something new.

Every OS has it's share of problems, NO software is perfect. There are Windows elitists just the same as there are Linux elitists, it just depends which side of the fence you are on as to how you perceive things.
konjad

Post by konjad »

I have never encountered "elitism" in Linux forums, nor this nor any other. The closest thing is that people on some forums for advanced users take for granted that everyone else is advanced there too, so they will not be as helpful for beginners and expect them to be just as advanced. It can be avoided by going to forums for beginners, duh.

On the other hand I saw lots of whiners who write how Linux users are elitist and won't accept anyone new and they lead new users to abandon Linux. I don't know where does it come from and whether it is just an attention seeking or there is something else in mind of the writers. Perhaps they are just making a witty Windows advertisement by portraying Linuxcommunity as hostile.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

If you haven't seen the "elitists" on this forum, you haven't been paying attention. There was recently a thread in which a Windows user wanting to try Linux was told something along the line of "go back to Windows until you grow up enough to use Linux." I have also seen people being rude to newcomers. I haven't seen it as much here as I have on some other forums, but it does exist here.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

But what else to tell when somebody uninstalled Windows but still like to play Windows-only games?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

BigEasy wrote:But what else to tell when somebody uninstalled Windows but still like to play Windows-only games?
Restore a dual boot. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

And "go back to Windows" after that :mrgreen:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

kmph wrote:Inspired by this thread, I am posting a couple of my thoughts about why I dislike "arrogant Linux elitism"
I see no evidence of any arrogance or elitism in Ceilidh2's response.

The OP took it in stride and made adjustments and even said 'thanks' for their reply. That's rare.
I know when I took 'the plunge', I struggled badly but all I really wanted was confirmation that I
had made the right choice.

pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

Personally I haven't come across a lot of 'elitism' on this or other linux-related forums. Surely, one might meet some, let's say, 'interesting' people who like to show off and bombard you with command line stuff
or confrontational types who always want to demonstrate their view (on operating systems, desktop environments, open source/proprietary etc.) is the only true one and if you think otherwise you're obviously misled at best, stupid at worst. But those are small minority, my impression is that most are helpful, understanding and usually polite.

When it comes to Windows: I haven't seen that much of negativity and criticism towards it, only recently some people often (and correctly) point out some stuff which might be problematic with Windows 10 privacy settings.
And when someone says for instance that Linux Mint with its ease of use, security, updates, package management etc. is better than Windows, they just state their opinion with which one can agree or not, it is not necessarily 'Windows-bashing'. Sometimes you can even come across advanced linux users here who would advise against switching to 'their' platform completely and either stick with Windows or just dual-boot. Neither toxic nor elitist.
Last edited by pacho37 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Ditto to what most everyone else has said. I've seen very little Linux elitism here. Most of us just love Mint. Many of us still use Windows. We've got members who love Windows, members who love OS X. and ones who don't care what OS they use as long as it works.

(And if I may be allowed to go off on a tangent, I've seen very little elitism of any sort here. You've got guys with 5000 or more posts here that help newbies (such as myself) with the simplest things--even how to Google correctly--without sounding condescending at all.)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi kmph,

I read your post and the good replies to it...

Here are my thoughts on this as well ...

Years ago, there definitely seemed to be more Linux "elitism" as you call it because most people using it were more professional, or experienced, computer users. To me they seemed a lot less tolerant of less experienced users. As other users here have already mentioned, if you read this forum and most other Linux forums, you will see that is definitely not the case now. People are genuinely very happy and satisfied to have a free, easy to use, workable computer operating system as an alternative, or in addition, to MS Windows and Mac operating systems, and they are a more than willing to help other users out and to do so nicely. MS Windows and Mac are really good operating systems as well; they each have their pros and cons. But, I think you'll find that the people using the more stable and mature Linux operating systems, and Linux Mint especially, realize that a lot of the people world wide do not know, or understand yet, how wonderful these excellent and stable free Linux Operating Systems are, and have become; this is not "elitism" but a fact. People like me, and many others, want to "get the word" out on this to everyone.

People & businesses everywhere now have a really good choice in what computer Operating Systems they want to use.

There are many benefits to using these superb Linux Mint operating systems besides the fact they are free. There are many posts in this forum explaining that in great detail. But, because Linux Mint is not usually "bundled" with most computers sold (yet), you do have the responsibility to take a little time and effort to choose the the correct edition of Linux Mint for your computer(s) hardware, and to decide what you want to do with it, and which edition of LM appeals to you personally. Most of the Linux Mint editions can be customized to your liking. As most people here will tell you, it is highly recommended that you create live Linux Mint DVD's and or USB flash drives of each edition of Linux Mint and "test drive" each one, and decide for yourself which is best for you and that can run well on your hardware. If you need help with this, most people here will gladly help you. But, if you are rude, or will not try suggestions offered, then some people will respond in kind which can come across as "elitism". If you ask nicely, some people here will even try to help you out with problems or questions you may have with Ms Windows, or Mac, stuff too.

FYI: I am continually amazed at how excellent these Linux Mint editions are and with all the readily available software and applications. With Linux Mint you can do pretty much anything that you want a computer and its operating system to do that your computer hardware can handle. Linux Mint is a really good option for personal and business use - right now. Plus, you can be up and running on a live Linux Mint DVD/USB, or actually install it on your computer system, usually within 1/2 hour, or less, give or take little time. I've read that some people it only takes 10 minutes or less to install Linux Mint. As a long time MS Windows user, try doing that with MS Windows. And, you will have all the basic software application (program) necessities to use right away, like the great FireFox browser to "surf" the Internet (you can install others), a very good Office Suite (like Libreoffice) for word processing spreadsheets, database, PDF files handling, Music players, image programs (graphics viewing, editing, and processing), Chat programs, Notes, etc,,,

What a lot of people in this forum and other forums see is that people coming from other OS's, operating systems, want Linux Mint to run everything exactly the same way as their Ms Windows, or Mac systems, that they have been using, and some people are impatient about that. Besides people into "gaming", playing computer games made for MS Windows, etc..., which Linux Mint is becoming more capable of everyday, Linux Mint and the Linux community have software and applications available for almost anything you can think of and it is usually free. Most of these software and applications are as good or better than their Ms Windows or Mac counterparts (there is some disagreement on this, naturally), and some of those can be run within your Linux Mint system using the "Wine" system, or a Virtual Machine.

Fortunately, there are some wise businesses (companies) and software developers, that create great software (some free, some not free) that is "cross platform" meaning that it can be installed, and used, on Linux, Ms Windows, or Mac.

By the way, I think your English is pretty good too.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

kmph wrote: ...if someone doesn't have strong interests in computing Linux just isn't for him.
I do not agree with this thought.

Linux can be for everyone. It depends on how you configure it, there are configurations for the experts, for the average user, and even for me.

But there aren't configuration for certain enthusiasts, those can be made but not without help and support.
kmph wrote: Sadly Microsoft seems to have joined that dangerous trend.
I think they are simply forced by governments and other powerful forces, that could just kick them out of business if they don't follow the rules. And more a few reasons... It is a bit complex.
kmph wrote: Or a car, but sadly, cars are becoming another example of tools that have no respect for this right.
Yea. Soon people won't even have the control of their cars anymore (see self driving cars). LOL!
kmph wrote: Linux seems to provide at least some hope that it will be fair towards it's users.
And if it doesn't, just fork it. You cannot fork Windows.
kmph wrote: And that's exactly why Linux must be competitive on the market for normal people.
I think this is harder than I imagine. There are big dirty players on the market.

Only the users will be capable of changing that (see servers and mobiles), plus the help of important "players".
kmph wrote: And don't worry, elitists. You may gleefully dwell in your niche. But only until it happens that whoever doesn't use the software developed by corporations will be excluded. If Linux shuts itself in it's niche, sooner or later it will be marginalised. And that's because of the compatibility issues.
I agree.
kmph wrote: Well, if the developers themselves show the finger to the users of their software... Goodbye democratic freedoms, welcome tyranny of the distributors!
Well, then why some projects allow the users to suggest features and improvements.

In my opinion, good software is made with the help of ALL.
kmph wrote: ...the attitude that the author's project is the author's project and therefore he will contribute to it only according to his wishes, and may cease developing it without passing it to somebody else.
Again, just fork it. LOL!

Not sure... I can be wrong. Most people do not agree with my thoughts.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Elite is those who can fix Windows without reinstalling which don't want boot :mrgreen:
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

exploder wrote:This article sums things up well.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/bar ... out-linux/
Very good article exploder, I enjoyed the video as well.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

In "1. Linux doesn't have the apps I need" he explained whose fault is it. But who cares whose fault when reality is "Linux doesn't have the apps I need". So, #1 is not myth. It's truth. And not just truth - it's dominant truth.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Linux may not run the specific application you want, but for just about any function you could do with a computer, there is a Linux application that will do it. No, Microsoft Office won't install on Linux. But LibreOffice will. No, PhotoShop won't install on Linux. But Gimp, Krita, and a bunch of others will. And so on. There is very little that can't be done with Linux these days.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Chat about Linux”