Could steam gaming on linux be the death of windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Is steam gaming going to be the death of windows?

Yes
No votes
No
67%
Maybe
6%
I dunno...
No votes
I wish! Probably not though...
22%
Wait.. there's steam games on linux?
6%

Total votes: 18

Chiefahol

Could steam gaming on linux be the death of windows?

Post by Chiefahol »

Gave steam a try yesterday on my mint machine..

I can get like 40% of my games on Linux! That is awesome. :mrgreen: Love that i can get Cities Skylines, Kerbal Space Program, and CS.

Shame a lot of the big-budget direct-x games aren't available though. Some fallout or sins would be nice..

Could the introduction of steam games to linux be enough to shrink windows user base?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Could steam gaming on linux be the death of windows?

Post by Fred Barclay »

Shrink Window's user base? Yes---but probably not by a large amount. Be the death of Windows? Absolutely not. Windows is more than a gaming OS. Most of the world's computer users run Windows, and people are incredibly resistant to change. I'd be surprised if any one thing contributed to a permanent drop in the user base of Windows.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Rather Adobe flash can be the death of Steam gaming on Linux. It's joke :mrgreen:
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Fred Barclay wrote:Most of the world's computer users run Windows
Depends upon your definition of "computer." If you include smart phones, television sets, and so on, I believe the largest share of the world's computer run Linux. Or so I have read, somewhere.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

jimallyn wrote:
Depends upon your definition of "computer." If you include smart phones, television sets, and so on, I believe the largest share of the world's computer run Linux. Or so I have read, somewhere.
You're absolutely right. Also, most servers (and therefore, most of the Internet) run either Linux or Unix.
I mean (but didn't say) most home computers. Thanks for pointing this out. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

Fred Barclay wrote:
jimallyn wrote:
You're absolutely right. Also, most servers (and therefore, most of the Internet) run either Linux or Unix.
I mean (but didn't say) most home computers. Thanks for pointing this out. :)
Also web servers, you want a small VM to host your website that uses <= 1GB of ram? Choose linux.
Edward M. Grant

Post by Edward M. Grant »

Fred Barclay wrote:I mean (but didn't say) most home computers. Thanks for pointing this out. :)
Most of them run Windows 7, Vista or XP. It's a much smaller jump from those operating systems to Linux MATE than to Windows 8's tablet GUI.
Morgan Krieg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Morgan Krieg »

Edward M. Grant wrote:
Fred Barclay wrote:I mean (but didn't say) most home computers. Thanks for pointing this out. :)
Most of them run Windows 7, Vista or XP. It's a much smaller jump from those operating systems to Linux MATE than to Windows 8's tablet GUI.
Exactly. It's not that change has to mean moving to Linux. Change may also mean Microsoft implementing new obnoxious features.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Back to regular programming.
No chance of Windows going away even with Steam having all games available in Linux. People that play games on their PCs is a small percentage of total PC users. I would say 5% or less.
Sure it may shift some gamers to Linux but as crazy as it may sound to you, a lot of people like and don't mind Windows.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I guess mot people have bought into console gaming, such as Xbox or Sony or even smart TV media centers
--so that a gaming platform (PC based) has become less relevant, even though games are still offered on both console and PC platforms

PCs' being the best platform for gaming, since it can both be PC and game machine (when needed)
--consoles don't compete as well with PCs' for applications, even should some be available (Android et all)

Streaming services..
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream
http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/
http://onlive.com/
--Sony purchased
  • And so on..

Return to “Chat about Linux”