Is This A Good Linux Computer?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NeoGeo64

Is This A Good Linux Computer?

Post by NeoGeo64 »

So I came across this listing for a laptop. I want to run Linux Mint Cinnamon on it. Is this a good laptop/good deal?

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/dell-la ... 79426.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

Don't bother. It will run but this is a low end pos machine with just enough power to load. Nothing else.

Sent from my phone
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is This A Good Linux Computer?

Post by z31fanatic »

That is 8 or 9 year old. Worth maybe $20.
$200 gets you a business machine like Dell Latitude or Lenovo Thinkpad from 2012.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Yeah...I'd pass on it.
NeoGeo64

Post by NeoGeo64 »

Thanks guys.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I agree that laptop might be worth $20.00, it's a dinosaur... I bought my laptop from a pawn shop for $130.00, it was 8 months old at the time. You can find really good deals on used laptops on-line at Amazon and other sites. My wife has gone through 3 new laptops so I refuse to shell out much money on one anymore.
scryan

Post by scryan »

You could likely run a functional desktop on that thing... I have a similar laptop with 512mb ram and Mint 13 w/mate ran on it... though it was slow. It ran Arch linux with mate and simple programs reasonably OK, but probably not to the standards of people used to new technology.

That is a brutal ad though, I would never buy that. $300 will get you a functional no frills modern laptop these days... That is a pretty bad price for such an old computer, especially since they seem to not give the model or exact specs at all? Just says Dell Laptop, and that it has 1 gig ram and 1.6 mhz processor... But what ram and what processor will change all that a bit? Haven't poked around much more but just wouldn't trust that company with out hearing quite a few positive reviews from people I trusted and I would have had to have a very good deal.

Return to “Chat about Linux”