Which distro is best for IT/CS person

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Which distro is best suited for IT/CS people?

Mint is suffice
73%
Arch Linux
7%
Gentoo
No votes
I think one is best suited for IT people while another is best suited for CS people (explain in post)
No votes
Other (explain in post)
20%

Total votes: 15

coder123

Re: Which distro is best for IT/CS person

Post by coder123 »

BigEasy wrote:I so lazy to check what distrowatch saying about gentoo, but I know that gentoo.org say different.
mmm...I see what you mean. After glancing at the gentoo philosophy it seems like it's mainly about being compatible with a bunch of software which mint already is. My bad.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Gentoo is for those who want and can construct system for themselves from sources.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
coder123

Post by coder123 »

BigEasy wrote:Gentoo is for those who want and can construct system for themselves from sources.
Well so is Arch then no? Which leads to asking why someone would choose Arch over Gentoo and vice-versa. (aside from the fact that Arch has a lot more documentation)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

coder123 wrote:Which leads to asking why someone would choose Arch over Gentoo and vice-versa.
Because of personal preference, or what best suited their needs at the time, or what DVD they happened to have laying around when they wanted to install a Linux :wink:

The Arch wiki has an article comparing Arch with other distros to give you some ideas. See here for Gentoo: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar ... ntoo_Linux
coder123

Post by coder123 »

xenopeek wrote:
coder123 wrote:Which leads to asking why someone would choose Arch over Gentoo and vice-versa.
Because of personal preference, or what best suited their needs at the time, or what DVD they happened to have laying around when they wanted to install a Linux :wink:

The Arch wiki has an article comparing Arch with other distros to give you some ideas. See here for Gentoo: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar ... ntoo_Linux
Oh ok yeah that makes sense. You would choose one over the other based on advanced specifics.

Return to “Chat about Linux”