Debian Cinnamon Queries

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DocTomJP

Debian Cinnamon Queries

Post by DocTomJP »

I have recently installed Debian+Cinnamon, and I am slowly learning about the system. I am a long-term but not expert Windows user who wants to migrate away from MS.
First impressions are very favourable.
But in searching for stuff about Cinnamon, I am confronted (as might be expected quite reasonably) with the behaviour of Cinnamon in Mint, not Debian.
The Debian version seems to be a little different from what is described in the Mint documents.

For example, I cannot get the System Settings Icon on to the Panel, neither by drag-drop, nor from the add-applets to panel function. In fact the latter shows that I have the app on the panel, but I do not. There is an inverted V sign on the panel, which a mouse hover says is - settings, but when I click it, all I get is a box which says - troubleshoot and panel edit mode. Can anyone advise me how to put the System Settings icon on the panel to act as a shortcut please?

I have read in Debian tutorials that one should use the sync command before shutdown in order to clear the memory cache. Does anyone know please if the Cinnamon Quit-Shutdown procedure does (or not) clear the cache as recommended?

Similarly, does the Safe to Remove USB drive message (via a right-click) mean that the drive is now un-mounted as is apparently the correct procedure in Debian?

I apologise in advance if these are queries that are either stupid, or that should be directed to Debian. But they seem to me to be Cinnamon questions, so I will be grateful for any guidance. If there is a document that explains these points, I will be very happy to be pointed in its direction.

DocTom.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Crewp

Re: Debian Cinnamon Queries

Post by Crewp »

Hi Doc, Debian uses an older version of Cinnamon, I think it is 2.2 What you are reading is probably related to the current Cinnamon release which is 2.6 Just curious as to why you just don't use LMDE 2 w/ Cinnamon? You get the Debian Jesse 8.1 base, plus the latest version of Cinnamon, plus all the Mint tools that are just amazing. I used Debian with Cinnamon awhile back, and it's ok too. Just Cinnamon has come along way, so now I just stay with LMDE. Ok, about your questions, first they are not stupid, and as far as putting system settings on the panel I go to Menu, then Preference's then scroll down to system settings, right click on it and add to panel. Also, I never used sync on shut down I believe the cache is cleared. And yes it is safe to remove the usb drive as you described.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Crewp beat me to the post but I agree with his response completely! :) LMDE 2 Cinnamon will upgrade to Cinnamon 2.6 right now and there has been new features and refinements made to Cinnamon. You would still have the rock solid Debian base with the added bonus of the latest stable release of Cinnamon. Of course I respect your choice if you prefer Debian itself, Debian is awesome but there are some advantages to using LMDE 2 if you are interested.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

exploder wrote: LMDE 2 Cinnamon will upgrade to Cinnamon 2.6 right now and there has been new features and refinements made to Cinnamon.
And a big bonus: it's faster and lighter in term of memory usage compared to 2.2 :D
DocTomJP

Post by DocTomJP »

Crewp and Gentlemen,

many thanks for your responses. A few points :

1) the version of Cinnamon in my Debian Jessie (8) is 2.2.16.5 which according to Synaptic is the latest version;

2) I followed your instructions and put the Systems Settings icon shortcut onto the panel - great stuff, and so easy when....

3) I selected Debian after first looking at Ubuntu very favourably. But then I read about the Unity/Amazon issue, and thinking that even if I went ahead without Unity, what next would Ubuntu do with advertising, etc. I did look at Mint, but at the time I was only aware of the Ubuntu version of Mint, so for the same reasons as declining Ubuntu, I picked Debian. I do take your point about the DE edition, and I will bear it in mind. However, having now invested some time in Debian, I think for the moment I will continue, and consider later whether to change.

Coming from Windows, I am very happy to find such good and generous help in the Linux world. Thanks once again for your contributions.

DocTom.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Hi Doc, yes Cinnamon 2,2 is what I said is available in the Debian repo's but Cinnamon 2.6 is the newest version, FYI I did see a youtube video on how to install Cinnamon 2.6 on Debian, if you are interested. I respect your decision to stay with Debian, I think Linux strong point is all the choice's and not one OS fits all. I am on the Debian forums once in awhile ( same name Crewp ) so made I'll see you over there, or stop back in Mint's forum and say hi. Good luck Doc. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7tInU3fgcM
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Crewp wrote:Hi Doc, yes Cinnamon 2,2 is what I said is available in the Debian repo's but Cinnamon 2.6 is the newest version, FYI I did see a youtube video on how to install Cinnamon 2.6 on Debian, if you are interested. I respect your decision to stay with Debian, I think Linux strong point is all the choice's and not one OS fits all. I am on the Debian forums once in awhile ( same name Crewp ) so made I'll see you over there, or stop back in Mint's forum and say hi. Good luck Doc. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7tInU3fgcM
I would advice him to stick with Cinnamon 2.2. Adding additional sources is not the best idea. But if we are lucky we can get a Cinnamon backport at some point in the future. Cinnamon on Jessie is rock solid but as Crewp said - it's older compared to Mint. You decide anyway. If you want something newer - Mate 1.8.1 is available and with a few tweaks you will forgot about Cinnamon. :D
DocTomJP

Post by DocTomJP »

Gentlemen : many thanks for your advice, again. I have been unavailable for a few days, so I am just now dealing with this post.
I am still very green about Linux, Debian, Cinnamon and the whole shebang, so when I hear that Cinnamon 2.2 is rock solid on Debian, and version 2.6 may not be, I am very much inclined to stay put!
So I will continue my learning mission, and soon no doubt newer versions that are stable will become available.

Crewp, Racer, very many thanks indeed for your attention to my issues. You are very generous with your time and knowledge.

DocTom.

Return to “Chat about Linux”