New discovery in Debian

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RacerBG

New discovery in Debian

Post by RacerBG »

I will call it "dependency train"! :lol: But it's not funny at all...

I tried a few minimal installs of Debian with Openbox, Fluxbox and I3 WM just to discover that if I try to install program like PCManFM or Thunar, or Nemo for file management in the *boxes I must download about ~50% of the desktop itself... :x I love Debian but if I want minimal system I must really stick with Xorg and it's programs and in some rare exceptions I can download a few valuable programs. Even Xorg itself calls a few programs which I don't need (in my case I installed sakura for terminal emulation but still Xorg thinks that I will be better with Xterm - let's do it Boss! ) In the end the bare minimum which you can get with every day programs is LXDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: New discovery in Debian

Post by Pjotr »

You should realize that the file managers you mentioned, are the core of their respective desktop environments..... :shock:

Only a stand-alone file manager like gnome-commander, can be installed without a truckload of dependencies from another DE.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Pjotr wrote:You should realize that the file managers you mentioned, are the core of their respective desktop environments..... :shock:

Only a stand-alone file manager like gnome-commander, can be installed without a truckload of dependencies from another DE.
Can you recommend me a few stand-alones like gnome-commander? I would be glad to start my VM again and push the pure minimalism to the max!

Thanks in advance. :)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I like gnome-commander best of all:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-commander
If it won't pull too much extra load, you can expand the features of gnome-commander a bit with this package:

sudo apt-get install libgnomevfs2-extra
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Pjotr wrote:I like gnome-commander best of all:

sudo apt-get install gnome-commander
If it won't pull too much extra load, you can expand the features of gnome-commander a bit with this package:

sudo apt-get install libgnomevfs2-extra
I just had a quick look at https://packages.debian.org/jessie/gnome-commander and looks like it's pretty small indeed. :) And also it's backported from stretch. I will do further research but if I fail - I will try gnome-commander. Thank you for that one, Pjotr!

Return to “Chat about Linux”