Apple porting Swift to Linux, what may it mean?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ondo

Apple porting Swift to Linux, what may it mean?

Post by Ondo »

At the recent Apple developer event it was announced that a version 2 of the programming language Swift will be open sourced and ported to Linux. It will be great it means that GUI-applications developed for the Mac can be shared with the Linux world with only a reasonable amount of re-wiring. Is this too much to hope? I do not expect that Apple will serve everything on a silver platter but rather that knowledgeable people in the Linux camp will have to catch the ball and "do things" to pave the way for the rest of us.
What are the expectations?
Ondo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Apple porting Swift to Linux, what may it mean?

Post by exploder »

Only time will tell...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Apple porting Swift to Linux, what may it mean?

Post by xenopeek »

Ondo wrote:It will be great it means that GUI-applications developed for the Mac can be shared with the Linux world with only a reasonable amount of re-wiring. Is this too much to hope?
AFAIK, they are not porting any of the GUI libraries and this move is so programmers can use one language to both write client side and server side applications. Most servers, especially in the cloud, run Linux. Being able to use the same programming language for the server side applications is to support Apple "app" developers—not Linux application developers. I may be mistaken, but I don't see this as meaning anything for Linux; it means something for Apple "app" developers only.

Return to “Chat about Linux”