Linux Voice

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Voice

Post by English Invader »

I was browsing in my local WH Smith store today and I came across a magazine called Linux Voice. It's quite unique in that they give 50% of their annual profits to open source organisations and once an issue is 9 months old it's available to download for free:
http://www.linuxvoice.com/

I bought a copy today and I have to say I quite like it. It's a bit more down to earth than other Linux magazines and treats the reader like a regular PC user instead of filling the magazine full of Raspberry Pi hacks and pushing the latest distros.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Voice

Post by slipstick »

I like Linux Voice, too. I have subscriptions to Linux Format (print) and Linux Voice (online only). I may drop the Linux Format subscription when it runs out (pricey here in the USA). I think I learn more from LV than from LF, though both have some interesting articles. IMO, LF has way too much coverage of the Raspberry Pi.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I would love to subscribe to LV but it's too expensive outside of UK. For that price you can have 4 years of subscription to other magazines. This is not serious :?
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

killer de bug wrote:I would love to subscribe to LV but it's too expensive outside of UK. For that price you can have 4 years of subscription to other magazines. This is not serious :?
A digital subscription is only £38 a year and comes in standard DRM free PDF format so you can access it from any device you like (including your own computer :shock: ).

I've been a subscriber to Retro Gamer for the last couple of years and they do things very differently; instead of making old issues/articles available to download for free they hoard them and release them in special Collector's Guides at £10 a time and, if you want digital, forget it unless you have a Kindle/iPhone etc.

I'm planning to drop my RG subscription in favour of LV as a vote for the way I want magazine companies to do things as much as for the content.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

English Invader wrote: A digital subscription is only £38 a year and comes in standard DRM free PDF format so you can access it from any device you like (including your own computer)
I don't want to read on computer. I prefer to have the book in hand. It's better. I can read in bed, in the train, in...

I use to pay between 20-30 euro a year for 12 num of a french computer sciences magazine when I was young...
Now this mag is out every 2 weeks for 50 euros a year. Paper format.

So LV comes at the same price for a number of release divided by 2 and only numeric version... :(

Return to “Chat about Linux”