FIREFOX w/ Adobe DRM ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

FIREFOX w/ Adobe DRM ?

Post by mike acker »

Firefox, with DRM by Adobe

how's that sound ? ( yeeeech )

hopefully our Distro will be opt-in rather than opt-out .

apparently there will be two version of Firefox 38: one with DRM one without
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: FIREFOX w/ Adobe DRM ?

Post by xenopeek »

I thought this was for 32-bit Windows version of Firefox 38 only? On that note, can you believe Firefox is still not shipping 64 bit for Windows.

It should be easy enough to opt-out if you are on Windows: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-drm
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I just posted a reply on that article. I don't use my computer to watch movies and tv, I have a satellite dish and tv set for that stuff, it's better at the job. I've managed to reach the age of 53 without needing a computer to watch tv, I think I'd be happy not to watch netflix et al on my computer for the rest of my life. Give me the DRM free Firefox every time.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
freed00m

Post by freed00m »

I've got firefox 38 without DRM from mint upstream. :) glad to be opt-out.
I think it is not windows 32bit only so I guess mint team opt-out.

And every user should be ask first to active the plugin or disable forever.

And If you are concerned about binary non-free blobs, then simply leave it at disabled. I think it won't hurt anybody who cares about freedom, its like few Mb on drive.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

freed00m wrote:I think it is not windows 32bit only so I guess mint team opt-out.
Nope.

From the release notes (which none ever bother to read :)):
  • Implemented Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) API to support encrypted HTML5 video/audio playback (Windows Vista or later only)
  • Automatically download Adobe Primetime Content Decryption Module (CDM) for DRM playback through EME (Windows Vista or later only)
freed00m

Post by freed00m »

xenopeek wrote:
freed00m wrote:I think it is not windows 32bit only so I guess mint team opt-out.
Nope.

From the release notes (which none ever bother to read :)):
  • Implemented Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) API to support encrypted HTML5 video/audio playback (Windows Vista or later only)
  • Automatically download Adobe Primetime Content Decryption Module (CDM) for DRM playback through EME (Windows Vista or later only)
OK if you click the more info, they stated

"Currently, Adobe Primetime is only available in Microsoft Windows Vista and above when using 32-bit versions of Firefox.
- Mac OS X, Linux, Windows XP and 64-bit versions of Firefox are currently not supported. "

So I am right :DDD
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

we all remember the root-kit that Sony installed, "back in the day" -- in order to play their media.

I was finally able to order Citizenfour on DVD from Amazon . their advert had been (still does) advocate "watch immediately". but that will be
  • via streaming
  • using their proprietary player
they've done this a lot with their music service as well. it seems to be the new paradigm: to prevent the customer from owning any media all presentations to be made via streaming -- to a proprietary client program -- to prevent the customer from acquiring a local copy.

but we are not here to disuss RIAA/MPAA issues. the issue is proprietary code -- which may be used to destroy security and thus to enable surveillance . it's all well and good to argue "I'm not doing anything wrong so why should I worry?" this argument is sophomoric as it assumes that nobody is doing anything wrong. we must speak up and expose corruption and error when we find it: this is an important part of being a Free People
And history shows that the mere existance of a mass surveillance apparatus, regardless of how it is used, is in itself sufficient to stifle dissent. A citizenry that is aware of always being watched quickly becomes a compliant and fearful one."
NO PLACE TO HIDE Glenn Greenwald, p.3
this is why we must exclude surveillance code from our computer systems.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Chat about Linux”