FSF will monetize GNU programs

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

FSF will monetize GNU programs

Post by xenopeek »

Breaking news! GNU programs, such as "ls", "dd", "cat", "grep", and many more, are used billions of time every day all over the world. However, the intellectual property owners, the Free Software Foundation (FSF), don't make a cent from it. No longer! FSF just shared they received a 150 million dollar venture capital investment and are being valued at 52 billion dollar. They will use the investment to start generating revenue. Henceforth each use of a GNU program will cost 0.01 dollar.

Read more at https://goo.gl/ljaJwL

(It's a joke folks :) But you can install this to start counting how much you would owe the FSF: https://github.com/diafygi/gnu-pricing)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: FSF will monetize GNU programs

Post by Reorx »

Can they just bill by credit card or will I have to write a check every month???

:lol:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I'm sure they will accept PayPal.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

jimallyn wrote:I'm sure they will accept PayPal.
Don't have a PayPal account... Maybe I should look into Bitcoins...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

They're having a laugh! To see who's awake out there.
Now, where does this GNUmeter plug in......
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

If you're a cheap bastard and don't want to pay for these excellent GNU commands that the FSF worked so very hard to make, you can remove the pricing options by removing the gnu-pricing/bin directory from your path and deleting the ~/.gnu-pricing/ directory.
:lol: Good one.

This one is also cool:
Disclaimer

This project is satire and was made during the 2015 Stupid Shit No One Needs & Terrible Ideas Hackathon.

Return to “Chat about Linux”