The myth of the year of the Linux desktop.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

The myth of the year of the Linux desktop.

Post by exploder »

I was a little discouraged lately with Microsoft's recent PR campaign. My friend craig10x sent me this link today and it kind of put things in perspective.

http://jimlynch.com/linux-articles/wind ... top-linux/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: The myth of the year of the Linux desktop.

Post by killer de bug »

Nice link.

It is true. Seriously who cares about market shares?
Windows 10 could be the most perfect OS ever made, I would not install it. Even if it was free. I'm using Linux because it is working well but not only. The other reasons include freedom.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

"Windows 10 doesn’t matter to desktop Linux".
"Windows 10 is the final nail in the coffin for the Linux desktop".
Articles about nothing if you read carefully both of it.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

The "year of the Linux desktop" was 2014. For me, that is. That's when I first saw it, tried it, then installed and used it. The year I quit using Windows because I didn't need it for school or any of the other stuff I use my computer for. More and more applications are web-based, so it matters less and less what OS you're using.

The "year of the Linux desktop" is probably different for everyone. I guess for many people, especially gamers and people who need software that isn't available for Linux nor available as a web-based application, that "year" hasn't arrived yet. But for a growing number of people, that year is now or some time in the past when they, like me, completely ditched their former OS and use Linux only, at least for their personal computing.

~nilla

Post by 1.618 »

Wonder how much he got paid to write that? it's easy to understand why all the windows fanbois are jealous!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Nilla Wafer wrote:that year is now or some time in the past when they, like me, completely ditched their former OS and use Linux only, at least for their personal computing.
If that is the definition, then for me it's 2010. But I was already using Linux and keeping a Windows install before this :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

For me, the year of the Linux desktop was 2002, and every year since then. At first I dual booted, but my current every day use computer has only Linux on it. I don't plan to ever use Windows on my computers again.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I guess some will be real happy with Windows 10 and we will be happy with our choice. Nilla Waffer is right! The year of the Linux desktop arrived already for all of us! :D
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Good article. 2006 was my first year of the Linux desktop, and counting. :mrgreen:

Of course it would be better if Linux market share would be bigger, because it would induce hardware manufacturers to pay even more attention to providing good Linux drivers. But the current situation is already reasonable, in that respect. So it's no very big deal.

For the rest, I warmly congratulate the Windows users with the return of the Start Button in Windows 10. I'm sure it must feel like redemption to them. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Pjotr wrote:Of course it would be better if Linux market share would be bigger, because it would induce hardware manufacturers to pay even more attention to providing good Linux drivers.
Linux and market? Pjotr, Linux and market is antipodes except RHEL, SUSE and few others. And because of it hardware manufacturers NEVER pay enugh attention to Linux. Why they should do it?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Return to “Chat about Linux”