Have question about raid and disk clonning.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vl1969

Have question about raid and disk clonning.

Post by vl1969 »

hi, interesting question have come up, can I partition a disk and clone it to than use for raid1 setup of a new system. What I mean is
Take an hdd. Create /boot partition of let say 1G leaving 1MiB from the start. Than create a partition to be formated as btrfs for / and /home.
Use dd to clone the whole disk onto same size disk. Install ubuntu server onto first disk than add the main partition to the root and rebalance the whole thing as raid1 setup. Install grub on second disk.
Will this work and will it give me a fully bootable system setup from any one disk as in full raid fail over.?

Sent from my phone
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
txba516
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Have question about raid and disk clonning.

Post by txba516 »

Hi vl1969,

It sounds like you really would like a hardware RAID1 setup with 2 drives. Most modern motherboards with SATA ports also have the ability to do RAID 0/1/5 for drives connected to those ports. You would configure this RAID for 2 drives from the BIOS though instead of inside of the Linux installation. Linux would only ever see 1 logical space and you would perform a normal installation into that space.

Cheers!
LM17.2 x64 Cinnamon
Help the forums get answers faster! Mark your fixed problem thread as [SOLVED]
vl1969

Re: Have question about raid and disk clonning.

Post by vl1969 »

thanks txba516, that setup is not totally out of the questions per say,
but I would like to entertain a fully software raid option first. I never liked hardware raid and still don't. Linux software raid seams better for portability and hardware independence.
worst come to worst I can use md raid for setup.

Return to “Chat about Linux”