Linux market penetration

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nilla Wafer

Re: Linux market penetration

Post by Nilla Wafer »

I think I agree with those who say that Linux "market share" matters because of the incentive it offers OEMs to write drivers for Linux. There is always alot of talk about free and open-source software and very little about free open-source hardware. A larger Linux "market share" could mean more printers, cameras, routers, and other peripherals would work on Linux because OEMs will want to reach that share of the market.

Besides, I asked my mom. She has her MBA so she knows business and market share and all that. "It's a good theory," she said.

~nilla
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Nilla Wafer wrote: A larger Linux "market share" could mean more printers, cameras, routers, and other peripherals would work on Linux because OEMs will want to reach that share of the market.
Not sure of that. Except printers, most of the guys you cite (camera and routers, mouses...) don't need drivers to work with Linux.
Printers work fine with LMDE. I have been able to use a couple of them without issues. My father old HP printer don't work with W8 but works perfectly with my system.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

killer de bug wrote:
Nilla Wafer wrote: A larger Linux "market share" could mean more printers, cameras, routers, and other peripherals would work on Linux because OEMs will want to reach that share of the market.
Not sure of that. Except printers, most of the guys you cite (camera and routers, mouses...) don't need drivers to work with Linux.
Yes, they do... People just don't notice it. Many drivers are present by default in the Linux kernel, so you won't need to install anything for many hardware items. But all those drivers in the kernel, have to be manufactured first.... :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Pjotr wrote: Yes, they do... People just don't notice it. Many drivers are present by default in the Linux kernel, so you won't need to install anything for many hardware items. But all those drivers in the kernel, have to be manufactured first.... :)
Routers are working stand alone. You communicate with them by Wifi or cable. No drivers.
Camera: you can access your picture by plugging the card in your computer. You don't need a dedicated driver for the camera.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Pjotr wrote:
/dev/urandom wrote:Why the enthusiasm about numbers?
Because higher numbers mean more attention from hardware manufacturers, so we can expect even better hardware support in Linux?
Hi, it's not only about getting more attention from hardware suppliers, I guess it is also to get more attention from software suppliers. In other words, more software will be made for the Linux system. This might not all be free software (free as in free beer and free as in for free) but at least it will come. That way you can do more things with your computer. For using the computer at home I guess I have enough programs to chose from, I can do all I need to do. No, I am talking about software which is used in companies like CAD/CAE programs for example. Now there are only Windows versions, meaning companies can't make the switch to Linux. Once 3rd party software houses start to make a Linux version of their software you will see a big change coming.
Problem might be once Linux is growing, it will more interesting for hackers as well. Then Linux has to start showing what it can do to withstand attacks. As we all know, the Windows system isn't very good in doing that.

Return to “Chat about Linux”