some debian related questions

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

some debian related questions

Post by jimallyn »

I have a laptop here that I installed MX-14 Linux on. MX-14 is based on Debian, so perhaps some of the Debian or LMDE gurus might be able to help me with these questions.

First, when I insert an audio CD into the drive, it does not autoplay. I would like it to start playing automatically after putting the CD in the drive, and not have to open an application, navigate to the CD, etc. Any suggestions? Do CDs autoplay in LMDE? If so, how did they do that?

Second, when I installed on this computer, I had in mind to give it to a friend of mine, and I set it to auto-log her in. Then she decided she didn't want the computer, so I created an account for myself and deleted her username. What I didn't consider is that the computer would no longer boot to that login, and now it doesn't give me a screen to log in myself. (I was able to Ctrl-Alt-F2 to a terminal, log in, and startx.) Is there any way to set my account to autologin? Or will I need to reinstall to set that up?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: some debian related questions

Post by xenopeek »

Usually in system settings or your file manager preferences you can configure default applications for removable media. Depends on the desktop environment you have installed how you do this. Below is how I do it on Gnome Shell, through System Settings > Details. For other desktops environment you generally can do it in a similar way. Explore more menus :wink:

For your second question it depends on the display manager you've installed. Doesn't it have a graphical application to configure it? Else find out where its configuration files are stored (hint: somewhere in /etc) and change those to remove your friends auto login. Or perhaps just enabling your own account for auto login will override hers?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

OK, I figured out how to fix the autologin. In /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf, I just had to change the old autologin-user= to jim, and now it works.

Still don't know how to autoplay CDs, but I'll spend a bit more time on that.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Ah, autoplaying CDs is in the filemanager preferences. And now it works. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, xenopeek.

Return to “Chat about Linux”