solydxk debian downsteam dist

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

solydxk debian downsteam dist

Post by curtvaughan »

The FOSS nature of upstream Debian has led me to explore downstream distributions based on it. I am very pleased with the latest LMDE2 RC release. While googling around, I discovered SolydXK. I installed it on a vbox (xfce version) and am rather impressed on first touch. Anyone else have experience and opinions on that distro? Anyway, a favorite diversion of mine as an old 60+ retired computer geek is to explore the variations on the Linux desktop/laptop thingees. Any opinions/experiences with the various Debian based distros are solicited. Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

grizzler

Re: solydxk debian downsteam dist

Post by grizzler »

In November 2013, when LMDE was in another one of its seemingly unending hibernation periods, I got myself a new computer. My old computer had LMDE MATE, but as LMDE was essentially dead at that point and the MATE developers bluntly refused to fix some very annoying bugs, putting LMDE on the new machine was not an option. So I went for SolydXK (SolydX = Xfce desktop) and never looked back. Out of curiosity I tried LMDE2 RC MATE in a VM recently, but I'm nowhere near impressed enough to leave SolydX. In short, I really like SolydXK.

SolydXK is also going for the Stable option now, but I intend to keep tracking Testing once Jessie becomes stable.
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: solydxk debian downsteam dist

Post by curtvaughan »

grizzler wrote:In November 2013, when LMDE was in another one of its seemingly unending hibernation periods, I got myself a new computer. My old computer had LMDE MATE, but as LMDE was essentially dead at that point and the MATE developers bluntly refused to fix some very annoying bugs, putting LMDE on the new machine was not an option. So I went for SolydXK (SolydX = Xfce desktop) and never looked back. Out of curiosity I tried LMDE2 RC MATE in a VM recently, but I'm nowhere near impressed enough to leave SolydX. In short, I really like SolydXK.

SolydXK is also going for the Stable option now, but I intend to keep tracking Testing once Jessie becomes stable.
Yeah, I come from a Unix/VMS/Cray/etc background over a 35 year career. After retiring a while back I started jonesing for computer tinkering again. Linux has been a godsend for that. Anyway after about 3 years playing around with Ubuntu, Mint, Redhat, Slack, and Debian, I really like the Debian flexibility/stability feel; however, the upstream version tends to lag in hardware support, and its forums are a bit cliqueish. I discovered Mint/Ubuntu and then Mint/Debian. I really think the Debian motherload is my preference, though with all of the systemd furor, I pay attention to Devuan. Anyway, I am impressed with both the new LMDE2 release and SolydXK. The big boon since I retired is the simplicity of access to Virtualbox in order to test these OS's without possibly killing your hardware. Thanks for your input!
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Return to “Chat about Linux”