Distros with a LXDE edition?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Distros with a LXDE edition?

Post by MartyMint »

There's unofficial spins of Mint LXDE out there. I have them. They're okay I suppose... :|
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
last2throw

Re: Distros with a LXDE edition?

Post by last2throw »

@martymint

What's the best unofficial LXDE mint you've found?
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

last2throw wrote:@martymint

I don't know if you'd call this the best, but you can try one of these:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ulmlxde/files/
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

If you feel you don't have the skill needed to do what you want, I suggest you try Peppermint. It's very reliable. The community is smaller and the forum quieter, and the folks are nice and helpful. For myself, as an LXDE user, I agree with xenopeek that, as LXDE transitions into LXQT, the timing might not be right to put a ton of work into reviving Mint LXDE.
last2throw

Post by last2throw »

MartyMint wrote:
last2throw wrote:@martymint

I don't know if you'd call this the best, but you can try one of these:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ulmlxde/files/
That's actually the same one I downloaded and was using.
Adelante wrote:If you feel you don't have the skill needed to do what you want, I suggest you try Peppermint. It's very reliable. The community is smaller and the forum quieter, and the folks are nice and helpful. For myself, as an LXDE user, I agree with xenopeek that, as LXDE transitions into LXQT, the timing might not be right to put a ton of work into reviving Mint LXDE.
I think I have to agree with you. I wasn't totally happy with the LXDE Mint I had installed, seemed to be missing quite a bit... In the meantime I'm using Mate for now but I'm DLing Peppermint as I type this and will try it out. Is it Ubuntu based? Mint fork? Debian Based?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Aaaaand we're completely off topic... Kicking this into Chat about Linux as this no longer has anything to do with Linux Mint.
last2throw

Post by last2throw »

I'm very sorry Xenopeek... I love Mint and I love the community here but I have to find something that works better on this netbook. I want to stay with Mint because of the great community and awesome support but Frankly I just can't do XFCE. It may be solid and stable but frankly it's very antiquated in my opinion and LXDE is much nicer and more versatile in my opinion (though I wish there were a search function in the start menu). I was trying peppermint because I though it was Mint derived but unfortunately I think I'm stuck with Mate for the time being. Don't get me wrong, Mate is great! It's just a little heavier than I was looking for for this old netbook... I think I'm gonna see how LXDE runs in my Mate install. I'll update with results and maybe some screenshots if I find some good Mint themes and whatnot.

(is this back on track?)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Split the on-topic posts from here and moved those back to Suggestions & New Ideas: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=193482
last2throw

Post by last2throw »

Tried installing Mint XFCE and installing LXDE on top. Ended up with a mess. Duplicate programs and the default LXDE install looks terrible! Uninstalled immediately. I will run a standard install of Mint XFCE for the time being. Hopefully we'll see an LXDE (or LXQT) release sometime in the future.

Return to “Chat about Linux”