Wanted: Linux success stories

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ghost123uk
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Wanted: Linux success stories

Post by ghost123uk »

yeongil wrote:
ghost123uk on Linux wrote:(though a couple have lamented the lack of ability to use iTunes).
I used to have an iPad Mini Retina..... because iTunes is needed to copy my music & video files over
Mustn't get off topic here, but there are easy ways to move files back and forth on an "i" device in Linux, just not iTunes itself (which the kids are used to).
p.m. me if you wish, but read my sig :wink:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another success story. A lady, in her 70.s I guess, asked me if her old Dell tower PC was any use, or should she bin it and buy a new one. I looked at it in my workshop (= spare bedroom), maxed it out on RAM, fitted a half decent agp graphics card I had in my spares box (it was running of modest on-board graphics). I put LM17 (32 bit) on it and it performed fine, even BBC iPlayer and YouTube worked just fine. I took it back. The lady was not there, her husband was though, so I set it up and asked him if he would like a quick demo, "no" he said, "I never use computers, can't abide them". So I left basic instructions on paper re logging on and switching off etc. I went back a week later to check the lady was getting on OK, and to get paid. When I got there, the husband (who can't abide computers) was watching a Banjo performance on YouTube. I said jokingly "I thought you never used computers" and he replied "I never used to, but this one is so fast and so easy to use" :D The lady told me that she can hardly get him off it now :lol: She was very happy that she didn't have to fork out for a new one too.

A Linux computer is like a washing machine, you turn it on, do what you want, then turn it off. You don't need to know all about how a washing machine works inside to wash your cloths. With Linux, the end user doesn't need to know about hardware or software to use the Internet etc :) Hell, you even turn it off using the on / off button, there's magic :wink:
Please note, I am not a Linux expert by any means, I am still learning, but if I can pass on something that has worked for me, I will, but use at your own risk. Plus I am always ready to be corrected by those many helpful folk who ARE experts
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Two weeks ago I sold a laptop on Craigslist to someone local. It W7 on it. Buyer was happy with his new machine.
Well today I get a text from him saying that he tried to dual boot PuppyLinux with W7 (never told me he wanted to try Linux when he bought the computer from me) and he screwed up the installation and now neither Windows or PuppyLinux will boot. I offered to help him and he came over.
I asked him what made him choose PuppyLinux and he said that a while ago a friend of his had suggested to try it. Then I asked him if he wanted to try Mint since I had a 17.3 flash drive in hand. He said ok. I showed him a few and 30 minutes later he was convinced and had me wipe the drive and only install Mint :D
He said that he didn't think he needed Windows anymore :mrgreen:
We'll see how long he lasts :mrgreen:
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

If more then 2 months then I can call it story about Linux success :)
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Tikiman

Post by Tikiman »

I was using a computer that I built in 2001 and using Windows XP as the OS. To say that I liked it would be an understatement but as we all know Microsoft ruined that for me by making my system slow. Despite using Ccleaner after every session it was still slow and IE took forever to start. Then came the news that Microsoft would end support for Win XP.
I was speaking to a friend at our Probus club who was ditching his computer as the hard drive had gone bust. I said that I would take it and use the case as I intended to build a new computer and fancied trying Linux. To cut a long story short I got his old computer, which is a Dell Inspiron 64 bit, and installed a new hard drive purchased from CEX.
I then used the installation disc from a magazine to install Linux Mint 16 (cinnamon) which immediately booted up and I had 138 updates to install. A bit perplexed with 138 updates (which I thought would keep my computer running all night) I started the update process and went downstairs to make a cup of coffee. I took me about 10 minutes to make the coffee and I returned upstairs to find the update process had completed. Absolutely amazed by this I proceeded to try and get my internet and printer installed. This presented a problem as the machine is fairly old and the internet package needed was not installed in linux. With the help of linux forums I eventually got my internet and printer up and running and have never looked back. I must say that problems created during this were mostly as a result of my ignorance of linux and some contributors assuming that I knew what they were talking about.
I now have Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) running and have installed all updates to it and I also managed to intall the software for the integral scanner of my canon multifunction printer without any help from anyone.
Only thing I don't like is the program Gimp as I like to print 6 x 4 Borderless prints of my photos and this program is a nightmare trying to achieve this. So far I have been unable to locate a program suitable for linux that was as good as Arcsoft that I used on Win XP.
To conclude I am pleased with Linux and am glad that I installed it.
Tikiman
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Tikiman wrote:Only thing I don't like is the program Gimp as I like to print 6 x 4 Borderless prints of my photos and this program is a nightmare trying to achieve this. So far I have been unable to locate a program suitable for linux that was as good as Arcsoft that I used on Win XP.
Tikiman
OK, I am NOT into computer image generation. I use GIMP for minor image manipulation and nothing more, really. So I am not an expert. But as well as GIMP there is now Krita which is well spoken of by those that do handle image creation and is being updated on a very frequent basis. Krita in the repositories, though you might need a PPA to get the very latest version... if really needed.

I also understand that GIMP has been extensively rewritten - which is why major updates have stalled for quite a long time - but the new version based on new tech will push GIMP into real professional quality editing. Features may not be the images will be.

If you open up another thread I am sure people here can help you. From my online reading I understand that while neither Krita or GIMP alone match photoshop, combined they surpass it.

But, as I say, I am not the expert here. And, yeah, Mint is cool. Most productive OS I have ever used. It just gets out the way and lets me do the stuff.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
gunvolt

Post by gunvolt »

I decided to use Linux out of curiosity at first, to see what it was like on the desktop.
I researched it and found that it had numerous benefits that affected me.
Most of what I heard before installing Linux was true. It's easy to use properly, and has a much more useful app repository than what I found in Windows.
I don't think I am ever going back. Not completely, at least.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

Tikiman wrote: Only thing I don't like is the program Gimp as I like to print 6 x 4 Borderless prints of my photos and this program is a nightmare trying to achieve this. So far I have been unable to locate a program suitable for linux that was as good as Arcsoft that I used on Win XP.
Tikiman
You might take a look at Darktable (www.darktable.org, http://www.darktable.org/usermanual/index.html.php). A fairly recent version is in the repos and they have two PPA (stable and what they call "unstable" - never had any issues with either....)
Mr.October

Post by Mr.October »

My wife uses an 8 year old Dell Inspiron 64 bits computer which originally came with Vista. I soon changed that to Win7 and for a long time she was happy with her computer. I made the weekly back-ups, I took care updates were in order, etc.
Then suddenly early last year she started to complain, it was getting slow. I said that is normal when you use Windows. Do I need to use Linux as well? You don't need to, but I would advice you to do that, knowing what you do with the computer (internet and email) it is even better because you are more protected, even without anti-virus software, anti malware software, etc.
Okay. Install it for me. Yes boss.
As said that is now almost one year ago, I still do the weekly back-ups and install the updates and she still uses the internet and reads/writes e-mails without any problem. Wife happy - me happy.

Return to “Chat about Linux”