What web apps would you like to see available?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mzs112000

What web apps would you like to see available?

Post by mzs112000 »

There are TONS of "Web Apps" written in HTML5, and JS, and loads more that you use the web browser to access.
I am starting a project to get some of these packaged as DEB files, this means that you can get to them using your start menu.

I would like to know what ones you want to see.

NOTE: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
If you dont like web apps, or the "Big evil" or "m$" or whatever, thats fine but dont comment in this thread, this thread is ONLY for people who DO want these web apps(your average computer user).
Although some people may be diehard OSS fans, most people are just normal computer users, who wont want to use Linux unless their favorite app runs, they dont want any of the "advanced" or "technical" items in the software center, they dont care about if its "GNU", "Free Software", "Non-free", "Proprietary" or not, they want it to do what they need and JUST WORK.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: What web apps would you like to see available?

Post by xenopeek »

Do you have some examples? I haven't a clue why I would need to have a .deb file for a "web app"; can't I just use my browser to use the app?
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

xenopeek wrote:... I haven't a clue why I would need to have a .deb file for a "web app"; can't I just use my browser to use the app?
The one advantage I can imagine would be for offline/standalone use. However, for this to be worthwhile, the app in question must make sense as a locally-stored application. If the whole idea of the online app is to share results via social media or gather data from online sources for further manipulation, then browser-based operation makes much more sense.

betatest3, we really would like to see examples of these web-based apps that you envision putting in a .deb package.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
mzs112000

Post by mzs112000 »

dXTC wrote:
xenopeek wrote:... I haven't a clue why I would need to have a .deb file for a "web app"; can't I just use my browser to use the app?
The one advantage I can imagine would be for offline/standalone use. However, for this to be worthwhile, the app in question must make sense as a locally-stored application. If the whole idea of the online app is to share results via social media or gather data from online sources for further manipulation, then browser-based operation makes much more sense.

betatest3, we really would like to see examples of these web-based apps that you envision putting in a .deb package.
I have some examples...
Pixlr Editor(some people don't want gimp).
Rdio
SoundCloud
Feedly
Sketchpad
LegoBuilder
and thousands more.

Return to “Chat about Linux”