Why is Linux better than Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

It's faster
12%
It's more reliable
21%
It's more customizable
8%
It's more fun
6%
It's safer
14%
It's free
15%
It's opensource
9%
I don't think Linux is better than Windows
6%
Other (specify in post)
9%

Total votes: 66

Dragonthunder

Post by Dragonthunder »

Why do you think Linux is better than Windows?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Why is Linux better than Windows?

Post by all41 »

Some have an agent plan their travel.
I want to fly the plane.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Dragonthunder

Post by Dragonthunder »

all41 wrote:Some have an agent plan their travel.
I want to fly the plane.
I like your signature
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Butterscotch is butter than rum-raisin.
Myau

Post by Myau »

More like independency. All the other statements are just a nice bonus.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I chose "Other".
Linux is multi-user by design.
-Z
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I just don't like the whole design of Windows. I don't like the file manager, don't like their weird file structure, hate the way settings control panes are designed. I don't like the terrible culture that has built up around Windows when even "reputable" software sites like download.com insert shifty crap/mal/spyware into installers.
Using Windows is like living in the gritty, bad part of town.
Linux is like a cottage in the woods.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I like your signature
Thanks Dragonthunder
I like your avatar.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

It's not.

End of story.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

InkKnife wrote:I just don't like the whole design of Windows.
Which, basically, is the VMS design. Blame DEC.
InkKnife wrote:I don't like the file manager
Use a different one then, just like you do with Linux.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Really too bad, I was forced to choose a maximum of 2 reasons of why I prefer Linux over Windows:
So I chose ...
+ it is more reliable
+ it is safer.

Yet, I will definitely subscribe to the following arguments in favour of Linux as well ...
+ it is free
+ it is open source
+ it is more customizable
+ it is more fun

And one more really relevant reason ...
+ it is community driven

Obviously Linux will not be better than Windows for everybody, but it is so for me. And this is why I like it, why I use it at home and also for everday work in the office.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

A big reason I prefer Linux to Windows is because it is more reliable. It is so reliable that at times it is boring. All of the other choices except 'it is free' were valid reasons for me. The fact I didn't have to pay anything to try Linux doesn't mean that I don't feel morally obligated to provide some sort of monetary support to projects.

Another reason, the biggest reason I prefer Linux to Windows is because it extended the life of my computer. Linux runs better on my system than the post-XP versions, and the Windows programs I regularly use run better, or as well, under Wine than they did under XP.

Finally, Linux gives me the opportunity and excuse to 'work under the hood' and try to learn about how things work. I stopped doing that when I moved from OS/2 to XP, mainly because Windows is a sanitized world of Click Here solutions designed to keep you away from the fiddly bits.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Linux is safer and more fun. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
cli-86

Post by cli-86 »

linux drivers seem to be alot more reliable and well constructed for instance, my logitech z506 5.1 surround works like a charm with all speakers working properly and clear, in windows it doesnt rear left and right speakers you cant really hear them, if it wasnt for me getting into gaming my windows activation key would be up for sale lol :) , linux is more customizable, i love learning the nitty gritty bits thats the fun part about it, since using linux i have tryed to use the command line as much as possible
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I can't choose "all of the above"?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

Dragonthunder wrote:Why do you think Linux is better than Windows?
I don't. ;)

but I don't feel like Windows is the superior OS either. There's a post in this forum with the title "Linux is not Windows". And I totally agree. Windows is not Linux, Linux is not Windows, despite them both being OS.

Neither one of them is more advanced than the other, but they have a different approach. Linux was built as a server OS first and foremost to replace Unix. Windows was designed to make life easier for end user. Linux is much more secure than Windows, and I haven't heard of a kernel header update on Linux that left users unable to boot their OS. Windows on the other hand... It's a mess for stability and security. But on a home machine, that's not the #1 priority. It's not that important if you reboot once every two days. On a server running your backups, anti-virus, FTP and what not? issch. You don't ever want to reboot. And Linux is great for that. If I wanted to, I could leave my HTPC always on. The only times I really had to reboot were during the install phase, the time it took to install all softwares and customize Linux Mint. After that, it's a simple matter of conserving energy rather than real necessity.

Linux still requires the command line for many, many, many things. End users are still expected to compile their drivers from source for many new hardware, especially LAN and Wireless adapters. Not always the easiest thing to do, especially when many of them don't have scripts or have only partial scripts. And there's the different package schemes for different Linux distros. Why can't they agree on one universal package, be it DEB, RPM or another, but just stick with one, like the EXE of Windows?

Although I think that having more GUI is not a problem in itself, I feel that the problem is underneath that. With different ways of doing things under the hood, like the command line that we so often need to use, Linux is shooting itself in the foot if it ever hopes to compete with Microsoft on the desktop. Not a problem if you're a system administrator with years of experience, but the average user who is a little technophobic on the sides? issch. ;)

The Open Source development model of Linux is great in theory, but I feel there's a lack of coherent vision accross all developpers, each having their own way of doing things. It results in vastly different distros, wich is nice, but it also complicates things a little compared to Windows. Having 10 000 developpers working on 8000 different ways to do the same thing is worst than having 5000 all commited to the same way of doing things. At some point, philosophical differences and egos will have to be left aside if Linux ever hopes to be a force to recon with on the desktop.

My 0.02, from a dual user :)
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
Intel Pentium G3240 3.1ghz dual-core
H81I-PLUS/CSM
256gb ADATA SSD (Ext4, OS drive)
WD Red 6TB (x2) (BTRFS, data drives)
16gb RAM
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

viper37 wrote:Linux was built as a server OS first and foremost to replace Unix.
Actually, Linus started with a terminal emulator. Linux's roots are nowhere related to servers.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Reminding everybody about the topic at hand: for what personal reasons do you think Linux is better than Windows. And with "Linux" in this context is clearly meant GNU/Linux the operating system, not just the Linux kernel. Stop sniping others on expressing their personal reasons.

Calling in to question (at best) others their personal reasons is needlessly argumentative and off-topic. This isn't a fact finding mission.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

A friend of mine is a pastor, and he likes Linux better than Windows because he doesn't have to give money to a corporation that has engaged in business practices he considers to be immoral. Actually, I know two pastors that use Linux, and both for much the same reasons.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

I had to pick Other. I couldn't limit myself to just 2 of those reasons; I'd have to pick all of them. Even the "Linux is not better" one, if I'm going to be fully honest; Windows still enjoys the lion's share of available applications over its tenure, no matter how much we users of other operating systems may protest. However, Windows as an OS in itself has its flaws, or I probably wouldn't be typing this right now.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.

Return to “Chat about Linux”