OpenSuse or Mint?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Huskell

OpenSuse or Mint?

Post by Huskell »

Hello, I know here is the Mint forums, but I would like your honest opinions about the topic.

I'm very new to linux, and know some things but not much. I only have one PC (notebook) and I use it to work as programmer, I'll install one of these two distributions at it. I would like a distro that is easy and I can learn things when I have free time, and at the same time is stable and comfortable to use as workstation. Couldn't find a live OpenSuse, so I've only tested the Mint so far, and I liked it, but I want to make sure that it will not dissapoint me, since I use this PC for work, I would like to avoid formatting it often.

If you know other distros that fill my needs, you can write about it too. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: OpenSuse or Mint?

Post by BigEasy »

Officialy, stable is any stable distro release (meaning not alpfa, beta, release candidate, e.t.c) . But result depend of your hardware. No guarantee that everything will work at cpecific hardware just right "out of the box". Not out of the box too.
Feeling comfort depend of persone used specific OS with specific DE. One can feel comfort, other - not.
Since you asked about OpenSUSE, I have to say that current release is not bad. But every few months they releasing new and soon you will face with problem to upgrade. No LTS, no rolling releases. Just new release after every few months. Who knows will new releases good or bad? But current release is good, as I said.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

I would say, for a workstation use Mint. OpenSuse is good, but have its issues and limitations so if you are not well versed I. Linux might have some trouble running it as desktop. I have an OpenSuse fileserver running for over 2 years no issues, but as of December last year all my desktops are Mint. Much easier time of maintaining and over all use. Also lots of programs available to use.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Huskell wrote:Couldn't find a live OpenSuse, so I've only tested the Mint so far, and I liked it, but I want to make sure that it will not dissapoint me, since I use this PC for work, I would like to avoid formatting it often
https://software.opensuse.org/132/en
Just below "Network"
Some alternative media (eg. live and rescue systems) are also available, although they are less tested and recommended for only limited use. Click here to display these alternative versions.
Why not install Linux Mint and openSUSE in dualboot. That way you can learn both systems.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

one on of my PCs - there is OpenSuse,, PCLinuxOS,, Mint 17 in a multi boot configuration. ..

OpenSuse is a nicely polished O/S that that uses the RPMs as it's software source.
- this has a few advantages over DEB based software system.
there is a few programs that are only available as a RPM.
& so you have to use alien. ..

but: Wether you could give it to a N00B as a starter Linux O/S .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm very new to linux, and know some things but not much. I only have one PC (notebook) and I use it to work as programmer, I'll install one of these two distributions at it. I would like a distro that is easy and I can learn things when I have free time, and at the same time is stable and comfortable to use as workstation.
This is why VirtualBox was created. With it you can install both as VBox guests and decide for yourself which one you prefer. You didn't mention what your current OS is but there is a VirtualBox installer for both Windows and OSX: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

As a side note I would argue that any distro in the Debian and/or Ubuntu branch of Linux would be a better starting point for a new user and it's not because of a technical superiority over others but because of support.

If you have a problem and don't get a coherent answer in the Mint forum you can ask the same question in the larger Ubuntu forum or even the Debian forum ( admittedly the Debian forum is not for the faint of heart ).
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

As much as I like and appreciate openSUSE: openSUSE is good, but Linux Mint is (at this time) simply better. For the following reasons:

- longer lifespan for the current version (openSUSE 18 months, Linux Mint 5 years);
- Mint is simply easier and more complete than openSUSE. Ideal for a Linux beginner.

That said, I repeat that I certainly think openSUSE is a fine product as well. It's my favourite "alternative" Linux (*buntu doesn't count as alternative for Mint, because they are almost identical "under the hood").
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Huskell wrote:Hello, I know here is the Mint forums, but I would like your honest opinions about the topic.

I'm very new to linux, and know some things but not much.
Mint, hands down.
jahid

Post by jahid »

OpenSuse or Mint?

Mint , Mint , Mint....
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello Huskell - I've used several different versions of Linux for a little over two years, and it just so happens that openSUSE 12.3 KDE was the very first. I found it to be stable, reliable, and highly customizable, and I stuck with it for about six months. Then I installed Zorin OS 7 and used that for a brief time. Then I tried Linux Mint 15 and have been a Linux Mint user/devotee ever since. That should tell you something. :wink:

However, don't dismiss openSUSE based solely on my opinion, you might regret it. There are live versions available, you just have to look for them. Go to this link: http://software.opensuse.org/132/en Then look for the box outlined in green, and click the link "Click here to display these alternative versions". You can choose between the GNOME or KDE desktops.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Hello, for my taste, Linux Mint is well above OpenSuse. Although the latest versions of OpenSuse have improved (from 12.3 onwards). But, in my honest opinion, Linux Mint is really superior..... Linux Mint has versions with extended support. OpenSuse shows new versions every year (and often give problems those updates).

Personally, how RPM-based distribution, I like Mageia, but version 5 is being done desire too much, no problems should have. I tested the Beta 3 of Mageia 5 with KDE, and to my taste, worked well..... Waiting for the Mageia 5 Final !!!! Greetings.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

[quote="The Dark Side"But, in my honest opinion, Linux Mint is really superior..... Linux Mint has versions with extended support.[/quote]
So has openSUSE, it's called Evergreen ;)
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Evergreen
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Hello Bolle1961: I knew about the existence of OpenSuse Evergreen, currently version extended support is 13.1 (total 3 years support). But Linux Mint provides 5 years of extended support, without touching anything. Also, it is not the only reason why I believe that Linux Mint is well above OpenSuse. Linux Mint is faster and more reliable than OpenSuse.....

If I had to use an RPM distribution, I choose Mageia, or alternatively, choose Fedora. I do not know, but I do not have much confidence in OpenSuse, forgive me their fans. Although I have to admit that his last 3 versions have improved the product. But I do not feel comfortable using OpenSuse..... I think now DEB based distributions, or Arch based (Manjaro, KaOS, Chakra, Bridge, Antergos), are superior to those based on RPM based distributions. Greetings.
badbodh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badbodh »

If you are looking for a rock solid gnome-shell work horse, opensuse 13.1 will not disappoint you. Apart from that, not much to favour. Mint/Ubuntu has better collection of software. And like DarkSide says, mint 17 has 5 years support, now that's durable.
Gnome-shell never played well with ubuntu ecosystem in my experience, but cinnamon or kde will provide you with better functionality and reliability along with eye-candy.

Since you are a programmer, experience with linux will equip you to go hard-core : gentoo or slackware. No compulsion to update, and max performance - in theory at least. I haven't had the privilege yet.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux proves it.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hi Huskell and Welcome to Mint fourms,

you pose an interesting comparison. I used openSuse for awhile, and it's a very good distro, polished and has a lot to offer. But Mint in my opinion is just easier to use and has a much longer life cycle. With openSuse - I'm always having to solve some problem and tracking down help seems much more laborious than with Mint. Some of it depends on what you want your system to do for you and on the hardware your using. But for the most part I find Mint the best alternative for me.

try them both for awhile then choose.

Which ever way you go it will be a learning curve. good luck :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Chat about Linux”