Local Council rejects Open Source (MS Cheaper)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Local Council rejects Open Source (MS Cheaper)

Post by nathanjh13 »

I put forward the many open source alternatives available to my local council.

They understood, but cited it was too expensive - referencing this article:

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/234 ... rnment-cio

It's an old article now but I'd never seen it before and I thought I'd share it here with you guys.

Best
Nathan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Local Council rejects Open Source (MS Cheaper)

Post by Pjotr »

In the short term open source may well be more expensive. Not in the long run though: then it's considerably less expensive. Because after the initial costly learning curve, the benefits become clear: no more licenses to be paid and hardware which has a much longer stretch of economical lifespan.

But the desirability of a shift to open source isn't only about the costs. It's also about readability of digital documents in the very long run, resistance against malware and adaptability.

It would seem to me that a local government which apparently only looks at the short term costs, severely lacks vision.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

They referenced the article . . too bad they didn't read the comments and replies ! :shock:
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

I know, I pointed this out to them too. Many thanks folks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

maybe just point out, that The City of Munich opted to take its systems out of the proprietary loop - in 2003 :o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

As the article points out, there are many variables to consider, and many that are locally dependent (eg, training, familiarity, length of equipment leases, level of expertise within the organization, etc). Also, commercial software license fees vary widely depending on the number of seats, size of the organization, etc.

I'm sure there are cases in which commercial software is cheaper, but as an IT contractor I can't tell you how many small organizations I see that pay top dollar in their MS licenses and could easily save a bundle with FOSS solutions.

Also, I'm seeing more and more Windows shops keep Windows as their baseline environment, but then add FOSS on top of it for software development tools, utiltiies, and the like. Call it Windows + FOSS on top?

Return to “Chat about Linux”