What is a good Linux distro for the computer illiterate?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James_Smith »

I'm no computer genius, but I like to tinker with my computer, so I don't mind opening up terminal once in awhile and punching in a command, but I'm sure there's got to be a distro that's basically set it and forget it, right?

I'm thinking for my wife. She uses computers to watch funny videos, do Facebook, watch movies/tv once in awhile on Amazon or Netflix, look at pictures of cute little kittens and puppies, share recipes, etc. Is there a distro that you know of that would work for her?

I was thinking of Mint for her, but I can see it now: every five minutes, she would ask me to help her out of a jam. I'm willing to do it, of course, but it'd be easier if there was a simpler distro for people like her.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have been using Linux for years and I am still a newbie
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: What is a good Linux distro for the computer illiterate?

Post by Pjotr »

Well, they don't come much easier than Mint.... Or buy a Chromebook.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I'm thinking for my wife.
I should tell on you :shock:
Otherwise--just as Pjotr said
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Eggnog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eggnog »

You could give ElementaryOS a look. I've not used it but a friend of mine stuck it on his girlfriend's (she just has basic computer skills) laptop and she just loves it. I might throw it in a Vbox and take it for a spin myself just to check it out.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Eggnog wrote:You could give ElementaryOS a look.
Good idea. It's shiny. But don't apply the updates after the installation... Personal piece of advise. :wink:
Mint is the best solution in my opinion. Everything is easy.

If it's too complicated, you can try Sugar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_%28software%29 http://www.sugarlabs.org/index.php?temp ... ge=gallery :lol:
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Mint would come to mind first (Cinnamon) Chalet OS would also be a good one that wouldn't scare ex-Windows users too much.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
Maik

Post by Maik »

Mint jam? Sounds delicious but never tried it, nor every single Linux distro. I've tried a few distros, found Mint to be sufficiently painless. I'd think every distro/OS will offer updates, one way or another, so I can't see that any are totally set-it-and-forget-it. Mint LTS doesn't require a lot of user attention in that respect. Other than that, I'd think the 'problems' will be with whatever programs are run / sites visited and that would apply whatever distro/OS. A vote for Mint.
Paladin2019

Post by Paladin2019 »

My Gran has moved from Vista to Mint XFCE and is very happy with it. I also set up unattended-upgrades for her so hopefully it should maintain itself without user intervention.

You could just not tell her the root password, that way she would have less of an opportunity to get into a jam.

Return to “Chat about Linux”