PCLinuxOS...Really?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

PCLinuxOS...Really?

Post by wh7qq »

On the basis of a comment by MartyMint (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 39#p993839 that it was so much more trouble free than Mint, I tried PCLinuxOS and wasted altogether too much time on it before finally frisbeeing the disk and reformatting the USB stick. First off, it resisted my best efforts to make a live USB stick. Second, my efforts on burning a live disk were successful, in spite of a k3b error at the end of the burn. It booted to the nice splash screen and successfully underwent a media check.

I am running my main working desktop, an Atom D2700MUD mobo with 2G and an older Viewsonic Optiquest 17" monitor with 1280x1024 native resolution. I use this as sort of an acid test. Most modern distros will find the monitor and set up the video accordingly even with the crappy Intel GMA graphics. Mint has no problem with it and I get a lovely display. The live USB key works flawlessly and it boots to a 1024x768 screen but readily switches to 1280x1024 from the "Settings>Display" screen.

PCLinuxOS, on the other hand, came up with an unbelievably off-color, psychedelic display squeezed into the upper left hand corner of my monitor and efforts to change to a better display were unsuccessful.

I think Marty was pulling my .... and I won't be spending any more time on this junkware. Too much trouble to get it going...no excuse for such for years now. It gives Linux a bad name.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: PCLinuxOS...Really?

Post by Pierre »

never had any issues with PCLinuxOS,
- but that was not with the latest release.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

No problem with PCLOS. No porblem with installaton, no problem with usage. No problem with desktop and colors.
Time of istallation beginning from idea "why not install PClinuxOS?" to fully working OS and desktop = 40 minutes.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Let's not start bashing other distros here :| If you want to rant, a blog is a better place.
If you wanted help with a problem, the friendly PCLinuxOS folks have support channels as well: http://www.pclinuxos.com/support/
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I must say that PCLinuxOS has always performed well on my installs here also. You, may want to try again and ask for help.

I Use mint because it performs the tasks I need better that's all. :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

PCLinuxOS has always worked very well for me and the community has always helped me when I have had problems. I have the highest regards and respect for Texstar and the community. Had you asked for help they would have done everything possible to solve the problems you were having.
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

@exploder...+1
In fact, I have a pclinuxos installed on my spare hard drive, and am exploring its workings for the day that if or when mint goes down the systemd road, I will have a new home to go to. OTOH, I recently read on their fora that systemd is embeded in xfce desktop. If that means pclinuxos == systemd, I might have to look for other options.

Meanwhile that OS has been pretty solid, and indeed Texstar seems to right on top of most issues.

Regards,
Bob
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

No problems here with PClinuxOS - and on a variety of machines too. Very high-quality product!
badbodh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badbodh »

BigEasy wrote:Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
That quote friend, where did you find it ! Under GPL license , I will copy it in my signature with some modification. :mrgreen:
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux proves it.
vito_spatafore

Post by vito_spatafore »

xenopeek wrote: the friendly PCLinuxOS folks have support channels as well: http://www.pclinuxos.com/support/
Dude...support SUCK$ .at pclos fora:

then...

you suscribe and NEVER EVER got register...

:emopuke:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Everybody got their grumpy aired? Good. Topic locked as this isn't going anywhere but more ranting.

Return to “Chat about Linux”