What was your Linux noob experience like?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

How long did you use Linux?

I'm new to Linux
5%
1-12 months
20%
1-5 years
24%
+5 years
50%

Total votes: 98

cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What was your Linux noob experience like?

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

I was talking about my 63 years old dad's computer. He is not interested in learning anything new and even small changes or unexpected pop ups drive him crazy and he immediately calls me to solve the problem. I see no point in forcing him to try new IT things when all he wants is to pay bills or talk on skype.
As far as Im concerned, Mint is a good mixture of user friendliness, security, stability and "geekyness" to perfectly match my needs. Im interested in learning IT a little (thats why Im on this forum) but on the other side I have no interest in programming or using special programs. I need a system that can be used for web browsing, office work and watching movies. Mint can be used for these things and that's enough for me :) I customized this computer to look aesthetically nice and to be usable. It resembles windows XP. I know that linux allows various special effects and Ive tried them but I like clean and simple things more. So I dont use any crazy themes or effects because i dont like them, not because Im philosophically opposed to changing how the OS looks :)
What i like about Mint is the update manager. Its one of it's best features and a reason why I left ubuntu (and because of Unity, of course :mrgreen: )
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA
friTTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friTTe »

Im a 5plusser that tought i was settled with latest Opensuse...but when i got my hands on Win10 i went all in.
All was good up until i posted a screenshot of Win 10 on a Linux forum, after that it went apeshit crazy hehehe.

So..latest LinuxFormat had the cd containing Mint so i installed the Cinnamon one and am a happy camper now.

But as a noob i had a pretty high spec computer and had some buddies hat were sold on Linux.
I downloaded Kubunt and burned onto a cd...installed and rebooted and was so damn impressed cause of the boot time and sexyness...looked soo damn good.
But looking back now i can say that i still dont like KDE at all, tried the new one but i think everything is to shiny and complicated.

Oh i miss the Gnome 2 days
frodopogo

Post by frodopogo »

ganamant, cinnamoncoffee,

And if someone turns their family and/or friends on to a Linux Distro, guess who they will be coming too with questions!!!!
You become their "support person"... probably for FREE! And if you can avoid unpaid service calls just by having the Linux system set up to look and work as much like Windows as possible, that's a GOOD thing.

People come to Linux for different reasons. Some hate Windows simply because it's NOT Linux, and for them, I guess Linux looking like Windows is some sort of heresy! :shock: :wink:

Others hate Windows because Microsoft is a powerful corporation that is doing what is best for itself, not necessarly the users.
Others hate Windows because it's MALWARE BAIT.
Others hate Windows because they seem to have a tradition of a really bad esthetic sense that they want to impose on Windows users. I think it goes back to that flag-like Windows logo that's the three primary colors plus green.
I think that set them up for the garish color scheme for Windows 8 :lol: :roll:
I hate Windows for the last three reasons.

The thing is that Microsoft has deep pockets, and they've done a lot of testing. Sometimes they've learned useful stuff that way. I'm convinced they probably tested the (traditional) Windows user interface on people of a variety of ages, and discovered that aging eyes do better with certain things than others..... things like colorful icons and things that look three dimensional. If a Linux distro then tries to do something just for the sake of having a different look and feel from Windows... there is the danger they are shooting themselves in the foot.... they may be going for a look that Windows tried and DID NOT work for a significant number of users.

So being different from Windows just to be different from Windows to me is a dangerous thing. Most Linux distros don't have the ability to do nearly as much usability testing, and the testers are all volunteers, which means they are probably already Linux users, so they can't really be unbiased. Also, now that Microsoft is trying to make Windows WEIRD... making Windows look like XP actually makes it DIFFERENT from the present repulsive Windows thing that Microsoft is foisting on people. And the fact that there are still people using XP in spite of support being pulled has two basic reasons.
1. There was nothing wrong with the User Interface.... shocking as it seems, Microsoft does get some things right now and then! And XP wasn't even all that garish!!!
2. Millions of users have had their brains totally programmed over the course of XP's nearly 14 year lifespan to respond to the visual cues XP gave them. Not giving them the visual cues they need guarantees they won't be using THAT flavor of Linux.
I personally like the esthetics of Mint.... although I liked them better around the time of Isadora! I think Zorin goes too far in the Windows-lookalike thing. But I think every Linux distro that aims to be user friendly should have at least one theme easily available that looks XPish enough to satisfy someone like Cinnamoncoffee's father!
The irony is that people who want Linux to look different from XP basically have the same motivation Microsoft had in designing Windows 8 and Window 10-
"Let's be different just to be different!" In order for it to seem NEW, they wanted the new Windows to look different from XP and Windows 7, they totally ignored all their previous usability testing, and came up with something that was just "new"... but definitely NOT improved!
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

ganamant wrote:
Heck, I remember the ad "I'm a PC" vs. "I'm a Mac", like a Mac wasn't a personal computer too!
"PC" or "Personal Computer" has always meant an IBM compatible machine, from back when IBM was a force on the desktop. Insisting otherwise is just being pedantic while revealing a lack of historical understanding.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

InkKnife wrote:
ganamant wrote:
Heck, I remember the ad "I'm a PC" vs. "I'm a Mac", like a Mac wasn't a personal computer too!
"PC" or "Personal Computer" has always meant an IBM compatible machine, from back when IBM was a force on the desktop. Insisting otherwise is just being pedantic while revealing a lack of historical understanding.
I see your point, but isn't your appeal to history a bit on the pedantic side too? A Mac is a computer and it is personal, so I'll call it a PC (OK, in fact I don't say "PC" a lot, I usually say "computer", but you got the point). An event in history (or some guy at a corporation) creates a word, but then the word lives on and sometimes it's meaning shifts. Today, when you talk about calling a cab, you mean an automobile, even if back in history cabs used to be pulled by horses. My point is that on one hand you have the origin of a word and on the other hand you have today's meaning for that word: sometimes, they do diverge.
knallfr0sch

Post by knallfr0sch »

I already own a rooted Android phone and a Rasp2 which runs Raspbian/openElec (whatever i feel like.)

I'm still new to Linux on desktop, and, to be honest, Linux feels like it's new, too – lol.

I do have a license for Win10 + full Office Suite, so i'm kind of downgrading to Linux, but hell, it does look interesing.
pranabekka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pranabekka »

Necro Time!

I feel like more people should talk about their "Linux Journey"

Personally, I think I found out about Linux and open source a few years ago on YouTube, and I watched a lot of videos about various distros. I also like hardware and software a lot, so I loaded various distros in VMs and checked out videos and all that. The vast variety and paradigm shifts drew me in--I wanted to explore all the possibilities opened up by the FLOSS ecosystem. I'm largely over it now, because I've found what I like, and I'm developing a more mature outlook that doesn't necessarily require new and shiny things. I've settled on a Vim based workflow in a tiling window manager, which is arguable on the bleeding edge of new and shiny for some people. I'm posting this from QuteBrowser, for instance. What I'm not over is the principles of the Free and Open Source movement. Having recently graduated from college, I'm trying to figure out how I can contribute and assimilate myself into the movement. Heh. I'd probably turn the world into a FLOSS movement if I could. Being able to participate in an open platform excites me :p

I'd love to read about your Linux Journeys!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pranabekka wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:00 pm Necro Time!
Since this is in the Chat section, that's fine. Just don't do it in other sections, and you're golden. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
chavic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chavic »

I was doing an investigation of the differents OS like MS, linux, bsd, solaris. I started 2010 with opensuse, it is a good distro but then I wanted test other distros and my distrohopping begun, I switched to Mandriva with KDE and I love that distro too but KDE is not for me I guess. I installed ubuntu and gnome 2. I love that old look. Try fedora after i did't stay too much. Then I read about mint in a blog and tried it and it became the distro I still use. My hard drive always has a Mint but I tested other distros after mint. Left mint for a few years and tried archlinux my first rolling realase distro with openbox. Openbox was hard to config not because it was difficult just cause I always used a full DE and I love arch too, I keep it alongside Mint. Then back to ubuntu and gnome 3 not bad. Then reading memes and funny stuffs about gentoo and I installed with awesome window manager. I like the way gentoo works but I got a new PC and left gentoo in the old machine and I forgot about it. I never tested very well gentoo and I'm gonna try it again, it is a fast distro and the memes about are that, memes. Then installed mint again with Mate and that is the distro I'm using right now alongside archlinux. :lol:
Desktop: MATE 1.26.0
Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera

pranabekka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pranabekka »

I did try out some Arch based distros like Manjaro and InstantOS, but some of the softwares I used (Inkscape and Blender) were too unstable and basically crashed every five minutes, so I decided to try a Debian based distro. I went with Mint because I've been playing around with it for a while, and I felt like three levels of testing (Debian>Ubuntu>Mint) would probably be the best option for stability ;p
pranabekka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pranabekka »

Moem wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:46 pm
pranabekka wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:00 pm Necro Time!
Since this is in the Chat section, that's fine. Just don't do it in other sections, and you're golden. :)
Cool ;D

May I ask what your LInux Journey has been?
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

It was cool ... I discovered that I had just upgraded my PC to install Linux, but with the only CPU in a category (First AMD APUs) that is not supported .... :evil: and it lasts since 3 years with many problems
Though I must precisely say that I didn't try another Linux than LM
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pranabekka wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:05 am May I ask what your LInux Journey has been?
Sure! I'm a typical Win10 refugee. I started out around 6 years ago, by doing a web search for 'Linux for beginners'. Found some articles, most of which pointed me to Mint. So then I followed a tutorial and installed Mint on my XP netbook. And I found it much more pleasant than I expected. When my partner, who has been using Linux for many years, came home, I showed him what I'd done. He asked, so you're finally ready for Linux? I said, no... Linux is finally ready for me. :wink:

Next up was my laptop and daily driver. I installed Mint next to Win7. And over the following months, I rarely started Win7, and eventually I never had a need for it at all.
Now all my machines are running Mint. And I've helped several others make the switch too. Including my mother, who is a happy Mint user at the tender age of 82.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

My first Linux experience was with Caldera, it was cool but my modem refused to work... I became a full time Linux user with Mepis. My ex-wife brought home Linux Point And Click with a Mepis CD and I was hooked!
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

I think my first experience with Linux was with Mepis (I'm getting so old I can't remember too far back). I stayed with Mepis for a while then tried several other distro's. Was Mepis the distro authored by the guy in Texas whose health apparently was declining - or was that some other distro I tried back then ?
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

The day you believe you are no longer a Linux noob is the day you will get slapped back into reality hard by something breaking from PEBKAC.

I don't think the learning experience every really ends as you can continue learning new stuff daily unless like the minority of folk you become a help vampire and rely solely on the good nature of other community members while remaining pig ignorant.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
pranabekka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pranabekka »

These stories are so cool!

I've never heard of Caldera, and I still haven't given Debian a shot :p I've just heard that it's harder to get things set up on that. I guess Fedora(?) would be harder.

I tried out MX recently, which is based on MEPIS, I do believe. It was quite fast and stable, and I liked the tools they had made available. I just decided to switch because I was having issues with hot-plugging secondary displays.

It's very true that you never stop learning. There are so many things that I want to do with my installation, and I've already customised it so much. I keep thinking of little tweaks here and there, such as auto launching groups of applications--I'm a little bit of a geek. If I ever had to use Windows again (which is sadly on the horizon with my new job), then I'd miss the AwesomeWM and the sheer customisability the most. Closed source simply doesn't have the flexibility available in FOSS software.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

antikythera wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:10 pm The day you believe you are no longer a Linux noob is the day you will get slapped back into reality hard by something breaking from PEBKAC.
+1
I do not recall the details, so this might not be entirely accurate, but a couple of years ago I listened to a panel discussion about the State of Linux. By every measure the panel was made up of Linux experts, and the talk veered into self-inflicted wounds and other mistakes. One Redhatter confessed that he once had a fit of 'Can I do this' and uninstalled sudo. He might have uninstalled su as well. :shock:

My last major PEBKAC was when my wireless keyboard stopped working. It suffered a lot of pounding before I realized it was the keyboard for my other machine. Before that it was using gparted on the wrong device.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

tovian wrote:or was that some other distro I tried back then ?
Nevermind - it was PCLOS
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House

Return to “Chat about Linux”