Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by MartyMint »

I don't understand the "I switched because of malware/viruses" crowd.

I haven't had a Windows OS installed (at all) on my workstation since I installed Mandrake Linux 11 years ago, but I remember way back then running Windows XP, viruses weren't that much of a problem if you just used a sliver of good computer practices.
If you're getting "teh blue screens" and "constant viruses" on a modern Windows OS...in 2015...you're doing something wrong. Most problems stem from poor habits. I suspect that over %80 of people's problems could be solved by just implementing a robust and regular back-up scheme...which should be standard practice on any OS and any machine.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Well said Marty. I too wonder how are these people getting all these viruses and malware.
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

z31fanatic wrote:Well said Marty. I too wonder how are these people getting all these viruses and malware.
My guess is there are more virus/malware producers today, and they are sharing the backdoors they find quicker.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Chiefahol wrote: My guess is there are more virus/malware producers today...

There's more money to be made on an individual level with phishing scams. Far easier than scripting or malware coding...and all you need is to have people not put effort into securing their data.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

MartyMint wrote: I remember way back then running Windows XP, viruses weren't that much of a problem if you just used a sliver of good computer practices.
z31fanatic wrote:Well said Marty. I too wonder how are these people getting all these viruses and malware.
Yeah sure guys. Totally agree with you, there are no adwares, malwares and viruses under Windows... :roll:

Where do people get these guys? Well for example because some dev are not trustful.
Take this for example: BSPlayer http://www.bsplayer.com/
It was once the best player for Windows. Used by millions of users. One day, we realized that the new version was coming with a malware. Should we have been more careful? Well, for years, there had been no issues, so...

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/threat-cen ... layer.aspx
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=114479

But you are right! Continue to blame the users. It's easier than accepting that this OS has not been programmed carefully.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Never heard of BSplayer before but I guess it lived up to its name. :mrgreen:
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Why Linux? Why not Microsoft
Reminds me of Groucho Marx who answered a similar question:
Hammer: (pause) Now, here is a little peninsula, and, eh, here is a viaduct leading over to the mainland.
Chico: Why a duck?
Hammer: I'm alright, how are you? I say, here is a little peninsula, and here is a viaduct leading over to the mainland.
Chico: Alright, why a duck?
Hammer: (pause) I'm not playing "Ask Me Another," I say that's a viaduct.
Chico: Alright! Why a duck? Why that...why a duck? Why a no chicken?
Hammer: Well, I don't know why a no chicken; I'm a stranger here myself. All I know is that it's a viaduct. You try to cross over there a chicken and you'll find out why a duck.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

c07vus wrote:Because Microsoft are crooks. Plain and simple.

Also, windows is slow, heavy, bug riddled, spyware riddled, malware riddled, not open source and plain sh*t.
That's it. Topic comprehensively answered! :)
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

My boss has asked me to install Mint on his laptop because Windows 7 has started crashing constantly.... again.

Just sayin'.

And he has rejected Linux constantly up to this point!
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

MartyMint wrote:There's more money to be made on an individual level with phishing scams. Far easier than scripting or malware coding...and all you need is to have people not put effort into securing their data.
Very true! Scamming is way easier than finding OS holes to exploit. (But then if you find a hole, maybe you compromise a million machines instead of just 1!)
RonC

Post by RonC »

Why not Microsoft?

Because ... :shock: .... this is what's waiting for you, at the 'end of the line'.

It's like having BS Player, from a previous post ( :roll: what a name) -- but 'done right'.

Return to “Chat about Linux”