FAQ -- a weak area for us?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

FAQ -- a weak area for us?

Post by mike acker »

I try to "search before asking",-- but,-- I think we should have a better FAQ service.

Consider the following example: I am considering the
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

as the motherboard for my next build. I'd like to know if this is going to work with Linux before I settle on this.

One critical question: Is our new Linux/Mint/LMDE/Betsy going to handle the UEFI bios? If not -- can this mobo be instructed to use the legacy bootstrap? I'm looking for user comments as an answer or links to relevant articles. I list the elements of my build in my signature line; I'm not sure much more is needed other than-- "this combination worked for me,..."

one thing that has occurred to me is that an easy way to do this is by loading some .pdf configuration reports into a webpage; let google do the search for us.

the trouble we face in this sort of question is that the OEM is likely to assert "we support Windows v8 and 10" -- even though the device will likely work great on Linux. I see this as a reason to raise a discussion question. I know we've all been admonished to "search before asking", -- but I feel we need to do better at establishing a data resource to search into. Google could easily serve to perform the searching.

thoughts/comments?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
shengchieh

Re: FAQ -- a weak area for us?

Post by shengchieh »

My experience is whenever something new comes out that needs a driver, it takes a few months for the linux driver to float on the internet and a few months for the driver to be included in the "modern" distros.
Distros that based on debian stable, Red Hat, and other old distros will take longer. Distros that is FSF-based may never have the driver if proprietary.

Sheng-Chieh
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

mike acker wrote:Consider the following example: I am considering the ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS as the motherboard for my next build. I'd like to know if this is going to work with Linux before I settle on this.
You could try doing a hardware database search at the community website and see if another member already listed the same hardware you are considering to build.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/
is another hardware database, in which to consult, with.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

I know it is not entirely the same, but I am using an Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard with an AMD FX-8350 processor and it is running faster than I can. Are there any motherboards which won't work with Linux? I wonder about that.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

DeMus wrote:I know it is not entirely the same, but I am using an Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard with an AMD FX-8350 processor and it is running faster than I can. Are there any motherboards which won't work with Linux? I wonder about that.
hmmmmmmm... in my naivete I bought a book on "Builiding your Own PC" from Amazon. Following their recommendations I ordered a bunch of stuff from New Egg and put it together. When I pushed the memory config switch the whole thing fired up. and then I gave it a Linux ISO and it took that. so maybe I was lucky. Maybe Linux just like to run on anything that powers up..... tee hee

anyway my main question now revolves around UEFI as it is getting hard to find a new mobo that is not UEFI . One 'puter I loaded Linux on for my brother offer me a choice in the BIOS config menu: UEFI or Legacy boot ? I ran fine on the Legacy Boot .

UEFI seems like it might be helpful. it also seems like we arfe all going to end up booting via UEFI sooner or later.

did your board come up OK using UEFI ?
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Chat about Linux”