Would you buy a Ubuntu phone?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Would you buy a Ubuntu phone?

Post by Fred Barclay »

Seeing as how the ubuntu phone has been released in Europe, I'm hoping it'll hit the rest of the world soon. When it becomes available on the world-wide market, would you buy one?
My thoughts: According to what I've read the hardware of the current ubuntu phone is "nothing to write home about." Although I highly applaud the phone, I'd prefer to wait until ( or "if") a better quality version is release and/or until the initial debugging is accomplished.
If I had the money to buy phones just to experiment with them, then I'd buy the phone today. Unfortunately I don't. (Fortunately, actually, I suppose. I've seen money do strange things to people.) So if and when I buy one, it'll be as my only cellular phone, and I'll need it to be mature.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Would you buy a Ubuntu phone?

Post by Bolle1961 »

No

For making phone calls I use my Nokia 3110classic, for calls it's still one of the best (my opinon)
I have an Android phone, I only use it as a mini tablet
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I am currently using a clamshell dumbphone, but if I were going to get a smartphone, I would definitely want a phone that runs Linux. Android is OK, but I would rather have a real Linux phone, one that I could install all the Linux apps I'm used to on. So I would consider getting an Ubuntu phone.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Probably should have mentioned I use a dumbphone too. :wink:
Whenever I do finally get a smart phone I'm expecting lots of sleepless nights hacking it. :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

An Ubuntu phone?

Probably not.

Another Linux-based phone with deeper customisation features?

Most likely.
Exodus_life
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Exodus_life »

most likely not ,not too thrilled with the whole ubuntu set up .that and the phone would HAVE to be waterproof or at least resistant for me

commercial fishing has its own set of rules
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Nope.
:o
prefer my dumbphone.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

I like the idea of Linux smartphones, but I wonder if application support would be at the level offered by Android and iOS. Windows phones, believe it or not, are pretty nice, but they suffer from lack of applications available. I actually bought a Windows phone last year just because it's weird. I mainly use it as a portable hotspot.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Return to “Chat about Linux”