Linux is written by big business

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintybits

Linux is written by big business

Post by mintybits »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux is written by big business

Post by xenopeek »

Another news source about this report here http://www.networkworld.com/article/288 ... ickly.html. Taking a more positive spin:
According to Linus Torvalds, the shift towards paid developers hasn’t changed much about kernel development on its own.

“I think one reason it hasn't changed things all that much is that it's not so much ‘unpaid volunteers are going away’ as ‘people who start writing kernel code get hired really quickly,’” he told Network World.
NeoGeo64

Post by NeoGeo64 »

As far as I'm aware, the Linux kernel has been written by big companies like IBM for several years now. Of course, a lot of the Linux kernel development is thanks to programmers around the world but big companies developing the kernel and putting millions of dollars of man hours into it is not a bad thing at all!
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Its been going on for years, and its fine as long as those developers are keeping in mind individual users (of which they are one) and not just corporate wish lists
  • Also some of that corporate development/sponsorship is being done by companies that have a Linux presence, such as Red Hat, Intel, Suse
    --naturally they want to support their systems/hardware or software, and if they weren't in the game couldn't get results they wish to achieve in Linux support..
Apart from that it is not a bad idea, if those developers possibly being supported by their companies delve into Linux in order to make it work better, that's all to the good.
--the only caveat is that company wish lists may veer development into a direction that isn't really for home use: becoming more server/service oriented and big businesses needs

Now what I don't expect is that company developers would compete with their company's software
--for example could someone/some corp group do a SAP (which I see as almost a screen-scrape of a mainframe application, at least that is their look (think CICS for example))

Anyway there is plenty to use and see within Linux, so I don't begrudge corporate giants from playing in the same pool.

Return to “Chat about Linux”