Other Linux distros

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lexon

Re: Other Linux distros

Post by lexon »

According to Distro Watch, Mint is way up at the top of the list. End of discussion. Yack all you want.

L
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

lexon wrote:According to Distro Watch, Mint is way up at the top of the list. End of discussion. Yack all you want.

L
Inevitable...
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Occasionally, I have tried out some other distros.
PCLinuxOS - currently still a fine distro. I don't like that it uses Grub Legacy - but there are ways around that.
Korora - an excellent fork of Fedora, complete with codecs. Korora 20 Cinnamon works fine on a second computer I have. If I didn't have Mint, I would be using Korora.
Peppermint 5 - very nice, very unique.
SolydXK - nothing wrong with this distro at all.
Ubuntu with Unity - No! No! No!
Knoppix - awesome live DVD with LXDE and KDE.
Linux Lite - sounds intriguing, with good reviews. I will have to try it.
Last edited by austin.texas on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Dilitirio

Post by Dilitirio »

Hmm. I hop a lot, so not much has stayed on my PC long. I've tried most of the *buntus, and kept just regular Ubuntu (post-Unity) the longest. I had the same kind of relationship with it that I do with Metro: I find it usable, but it's not preferable. So in saying, Xubuntu was my favourite of those.

I had Linux Lite 2.0 for awhile, but eventually the urge to hop took me elsewhere. I toyed with Manjaro before deciding that the nature of Arch's rolling release model was a bit too much for me.

After that, I think, I checked out some other non-Debian based distros: openSUSE, Fedora, Mageia, etc etc.

I ran Deepin for a bit. Really liked the desktop environment, thought it was absolutely gorgeous. Eventually, though, the graphical environment crashed: it wouldn't boot anymore. It would load up a black screen and an X as my cursor. Couldn't figure out what caused it.

Somewhat ironically, I made my way back to Arch, via Antergos. I -loved- it. Still do. It sits, like Mint, in my hall of favourites.

Somewhere in this mix I also tried CrunchBang, also a favourite, elementary, PCLinuxOS, which was the only distro I've tried to not work with my wireless out-of-the-box, Bohdi, Netrunner, Korora, Voyager, Pinguy, Peppermint, and more.

All along this journey sat with me a faithful Linux Mint installation media for me to run /home to when need be.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Oh yeah forgot about it, but I tried PepperMint also. Interesting distro.
r00t

Post by r00t »

lexon wrote:According to Distro Watch, Mint is way up at the top of the list. End of discussion. Yack all you want.
Distrowatch explains right on their "popular distros" webpage that a counter on how many hits on their own pages is how they rank them. NOT "market share" popularity.

See here: http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity
"The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more."

I love mint as much as the next guy, but I don't like when people use distrowatch to measure any kind of popularity between distros claiming they're the most widely used because they have the most hits on a website.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

I guess I'll just act like no one tried to troll me and answer the actual question instead:

My first Linux was S.u.S.E. 6.0, long before the Americans decided to buy them IIRC. As they were KDE pioneers, it was ok to use on the Desktop. I still missed my Windows quite soon.

During the next few years, I had a peek at various Linuces (including WinLinux and Corel Linux or what it was called), very few of them actually stayed for a while: Mint (of course, but with KDE), Fedora (yum's history feature is really worth it, too bad they fail to apply a good quality assurance), Debian Testing. This was when I started to use my own servers; pre-systemd Debian did a really good job maintaining stability unless you touched the updater.

Fedora was the last Linux I installed on any machine anyway. F17 beta accidentally lost most of my files. That was the last straw. I still keep some VirtualBox with Arch (now that #! is dead which was a quite well-thought distribution), just in case things are changing from the ground. But I doubt that.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

/dev/urandom wrote:Fedora was the last Linux I installed on any machine anyway. F17 beta accidentally lost most of my files. That was the last straw.
Instead of blaming Linux, you'd better ask yourself: is it wise to let a beta version of an operating system, *any operating system*, have access to my important files? :shock:

On topic: since I started fulltime Linux use, back in the summer of 2006, I've used Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Edubuntu, Linux Mint LXDE / Xfce / Mate / Cinnamon, Scientific Linux, openSUSE, CentOS, Mandriva, Puppy Linux, Damned Small Linux, AntiX, Fedora, PC-BSD, and I'm sure some others that I've forgotten....

In the end, I find in Linux only the "Big Five" (Debian, Mint, *buntu, Fedora, openSUSE) really interesting. They have proper support with updates, a trustworthy quality control system, and a good continuity perspective for the long run.

From the BSD's (who are a different kettle of fish from Linux) I've only used PC-BSD, but although I find it interesting as well, it's in my opinion simply not in the same league as the easy Linux distro's. Despite its advanced technological novelties, in my opinion it still lacks enough user-friendliness.

At this moment, I think Linux Mint is the best Linux distro you can get from the "Big Five", with a small but noticeable margin. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Pjotr wrote: In the end, I find in Linux only the "Big Five" (Debian, Mint, *buntu, Fedora, openSUSE) really interesting. They have proper support with updates, a trustworthy quality control system, and a good continuity perspective for the long run.
It depends on tastes and what you look for.
Debian and Linux Mint I agree.
I like arch and its way of life.

On the contrary, I understand why you like Fedora, but I would not use it for me. I don't like rpm...
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re:

Post by MartyMint »

/dev/urandom wrote:
F17 beta accidentally lost most of my files. That was the last straw.

Fedora didn't lose your files. There was a copy right there on your backup drive, right.?

:|
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Pjotr wrote:Instead of blaming Linux, you'd better ask yourself: is it wise to let a beta version of an operating system, *any operating system*, have access to my important files? :shock:
All operating systems have bugs, regardless of their release state.
MartyMint wrote:Fedora didn't lose your files. There was a copy right there on your backup drive, right.?
Sure. It's just that I can't see why I need to worry about every single upgrade.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

/dev/urandom wrote:
Pjotr wrote:Instead of blaming Linux, you'd better ask yourself: is it wise to let a beta version of an operating system, *any operating system*, have access to my important files? :shock:
All operating systems have bugs, regardless of their release state.
True, but the nasty disastrous showstopper bugs are usually solved in a final release. Not so in a beta.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Looks like Fedora's release versions become worse over the years.

But we're losing the topic here. Let's continue this by PM if you wish.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

L
Lies, damn Lies, and Statistics.
SC23

Post by SC23 »

My first step out in the Linux world was Mandrake.. before they crumbled and came back, something like almost 15 years ago. I walked away for a long time and actually worked as tech support for many years in Windows. Once I left that field 4-5 years ago I jumped Windows ship and installed Mint Cinnamon.. 13 I believe.. Been Mint ever since although I moved to KDE for the whiz-bang. Im VirtualBoxing Debian, Ubuntu and all the flavors of Mint as well as some other things.. but Mint has been good to me and Im quite happy with it.
mbott

Post by mbott »

In my attempt to save an old laptop, I started with Fedora quite a few years back. Ended up with Ubuntu 7.04 IIRC. As I upgraded systems, I kept coming back to Ubuntu and my current desktop system is running Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS. No issues at all. My most recent purchase was a Dell Insperion laptop, and it's running Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca. Again, no issues at all: everything just works. I like Unity but the laptop runs a bit quicker with Mint. So for the near future, I see myself living in this house divided. :)

--
Mike
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Previously, in this thread (on Fri Feb 20, 2015), I said,
Linux Lite - sounds intriguing, with good reviews. I will have to try it.
I installed Linux Lite 2.2 and gave it a good trial, using it almost exclusively for more than a week.
There are many pros: Very stable. Wireless and graphics were no problem. Small footprint. Nice, helpful atmosphere in the forum.
Cons: Insisted on saving sessions when I didn't want it to.
MAJOR annoyance - the Grub config is borked. It installs fine, and Grub will detect other linux OS's fine - BUT, if you install a different linux OS and install that Grub to the MBR, that Grub will not boot Linux Lite. You have to manually edit that Grub config to get it to boot Linux Lite.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

After trying many different flavors, I think I am going to use Mint and Kubuntu.

Return to “Chat about Linux”