How to install latest versions of all software

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SHOT(by)GUN

How to install latest versions of all software

Post by SHOT(by)GUN »

Hey, I am experienced linux noob.

Background info:
- Software manager can install 2 year old software for example for netbeans and eclipse...
- Sure you can update them if you install the project PPA:s manually
- Gentoo linux have these things called Overlays http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Overlay what provide updated versions of software on top of official repositories.
- Ubuntu has these multiverse / universe and additional repositories browsing
- I am using Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon

Questions:
1. I'd like to have my software more up to date, what is the best solution for this?
2. Is there official "more updated" repository I can switch my Linux Mint to use
3. is there community managed "updated software repository" or "ALL software PPA" ? what would do the same thing as 2.
4. Do I really have to install PPA for every single software I want to have up-to-date ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to install latest versions of all software

Post by xenopeek »

Split from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158 and moved here, as this will quickly dissolve in recommendations to switch to another distro.

To answer your questions; the answer to question number 4 is "yes". If you want the latest upstream version of all software packages, you should switch to another distro--one that is rolling-release based. Linux Mint is point-release based; meaning there are periodic numbered releases that bring new upstream versions of all software packages, that have been integration tested to work well together, but in between those releases you only get updates to fix security issues or other critical bugs.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

As xenopeek, said if you want more up to date software you have 2 choices:

1. Add projects PPA's and keep using Mint.
2. Switch to other distro like:
2.1 Source based - Gentoo (I believe the most up to date distro), Sabayon (Gentoo based for newbies basically);
2.2 Rolling distros - Arch (easy enough if you read the Arch Wiki), Mageia, OpenSUSE, Debian Testing/Sid;
SHOT(by)GUN

Post by SHOT(by)GUN »

Thanks for the fast and good responses, much appriciated :)
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Two distros I know use the latest softwares: Fedora and Arch. Think about moving to one of them. I think Arch beats Fedora for the latest suffs, but is more geeky. Fedora is more user-friendly, but still have the latest stuffs (compared with
other distros).

Sheng-Chieh
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Note that Fedora, like Linux Mint, is point-release based and you'll have to install a new release twice a year to get newer versions of software. Arch Linux is true rolling-release based; install once and you continually get new versions of software as they are released upstream instead of just security updates as on a point-release based distro (like Fedora, or Linux Mint).

Anyway, you're in a good place with either Fedora or Arch Linux--they are favorites of the two prominent kernel developers (Linus Torvalds is on Fedora and Greg Kroah-Hartman uses Arch Linux on almost everything).
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Korora, based on Fedora has up to date packages. I think because of the repos that are enabled by default. Arch of course always has up to date packages too.
SHOT(by)GUN

Post by SHOT(by)GUN »

How about the upcoming Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 ?

After some reading, I suppose updated packages come approximately in this order, am I right ?
Gentoo > Arch > Debian > Linux Mint Debian Edition > Ubuntu > Linux Mint

I dont know about debian repositories, that how up-to-date software is on official repos, and if there is any additional repo what contains even more up-to-date ?
Also is debian testing repo branch locked out in LMDE2 ?
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

SHOT(by)GUN wrote:How about the upcoming Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 ?

After some reading, I suppose updated packages come approximately in this order, am I right ?
Gentoo > Arch > Debian > Linux Mint Debian Edition > Ubuntu > Linux Mint

I dont know about debian repositories, that how up-to-date software is on official repos, and if there is any additional repo what contains even more up-to-date ?
Also is debian testing repo branch locked out in LMDE2 ?
This distributions are different from each other and the package flow is totally different. If the above scheme means which is more up to date you are probably right. LMDE 2 will be based on Debian Stable in our case Jessie. If we compare Debian Stable vs LMDE 2 - LMDE 2 will win in terms of newer software. In other hand the latest Ubuntu will beat the latest Mint. Debian Sid/Testing will be always newer than Stable and LMDE 2. Arch and Gentoo will be miles ahead every time.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Exactly, you have to split development releases from stable releases. As in:

Ubuntu development (non-LTS) > Linux Mint > Ubuntu stable (LTS)
Debian unstable > Debian testing > LMDE > Debian stable

Ubuntu development releases pull from Debian testing and Debian unstable, so would be inbetween those two. Debian stable and Ubuntu stable shift position each release which of them has the newest versions of all software. Ubuntu stable isn't based on Debian stable.

If you want to run the latest version of all software with any of these, only Debian unstable would get you anywhere close to that. It's useful to understand that Debian unstable (and testing) exists in order to eventually result in a next stable release. Just to be clear on where the priorities of Debian are.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Being too concerned about having the very latest is asking for a great deal of work for little reward. Most smaller applications evolve pretty slowly and major applications like GIMP or Libre Office have PPA if you need to have the latest versions.
Wanting to keep your entire collection of applications completely up to date is going to involve a great deal of work no matter if you are using Windows, OSX or Linux.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't really agree with that view; with Arch Linux you have the latest stable version of all software, and maintenance wise (I at least) spend less time on it than I did with Ubuntu/Linux Mint.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

xenopeek wrote:I don't really agree with that view; with Arch Linux you have the latest stable version of all software, and maintenance wise (I at least) spend less time on it than I did with Ubuntu/Linux Mint.
Arch will certainly work if someone is willing to climb that learning curve.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux”