Debian fanaticism

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Debian fanaticism

Post by JOPETA »

One cold mate please.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

Hey Exploder, just ran across some of your posts in Debian land. Snark!!! Can of worms, indeed :lol:
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Yeah, I feel the love there.... :lol: That must be why there was a good couple of years between me joining the forum and posting anything again. You have to be careful what you ask as well as be very careful of the wording you use. That's nothing though! I asked one question about an installer on another forum (different distro) and had a developer immediately get crappy with me! It took several days for anyone to answer my question! It was even funnier when DistroWatch tried to review that distro and had the exact same problem with the installer!

My question was really simple and I asked it in a pleasant manor. I have no idea why the guy went ballistic over it. Needless to say I have never returned to that forum. I belong to a lot of forms, most communities are great but there are a few I stay away from.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

exploder wrote:I belong to a lot of forms, most communities are great but there are a few I stay away from.
Exactly. :)
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I am not that sure any Linux distribution can encourage windows users(or is that fanatics) to switch: just like the Apple switch campains
--it all seems such a waste of effort..

However, if computer users of any stripe would just take a step back and see that every OS available is using ideas from anywhere: there erstwhile competitors
--so exactly how much different are all these OS desktops supposed to be
  • Your favorite file manager or icons shouldn't be counting for much
    --if you find another OS is quicker, cheaper (cost-of-ownership over time) or better serves your needs, whether that is business or personal
Debian and even Fedora or possibly *BSD systems have a right to be annoyed that derivative Linux distributions use their product and don't even proffer any credit to the originators..
--someone else called it the mothership

Now, unless a Linux distribution such as Red Hat's Fedora or Ubuntu decided to go their own way completely, and not depend on some volunteer group supporting the parent distribution
--then we could say they have no allegience to the mothership
  • And as an aside, there are: unless we all did it old style/get source code, compile and fix any source/system errors, only two main (3 if you count non-linux, but compatible for linux programs *BSD systems)
    --that is RPM or APT package managers: derived from the parent distribution/supported product..
Anyway I don't find any fanatic fans of a particular system to be that much of a bother
--I just tsk tsk (and pass on) when I come across such dross: whether it is on twitter/facebook or some other hangout..
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

xenopeek wrote:While not wanting to invalidate anybody's personal experience, let's be careful and not judge an entire community or distro by it. Like with any group of individuals, in some communities you'll feel at home and in others you won't. But that's your personal experience. Acknowledge that you have a choice what communities to join or part, and other people will make other choices based on their preferences.
I have personally never had any problem with the Debian guys. On Forums or IRC.
They knew I was using LMDE and still they helped me.

That some of you may have encountered bad experiences may be true, but I don't think this is a 100% statement.
Algus

Post by Algus »

I've had good luck with the Debian mailing list, which I have followed for a couple years now. The Debian forums are kind of hohum. It has some elitists but my big problem is that it is relatively slow compared to i.e. the Ubuntu forums (great community there BTW). I'm more inclined to visit them for help with something than I am the Debian forum.

Debian itself is great though. It requires a bit more work to get going than Ubuntu or Mint but man, I feel like you can get all the perks with a tuned Debian system that you get with Ubuntu and Mint and none of the drawbacks. I had a very lean Debian build on my chromebook and it was fantastic.
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

I want to try doing a full blown Linux install on my chromebook. With 20 GB SSD local storage, who knows? Cheap little thing works well for what it was intended (browsing), but I am curious. What are your experiences since your Debian install?

Algus

Post by Algus »

curtvaughan wrote:I want to try doing a full blown Linux install on my chromebook. With 20 GB SSD local storage, who knows? Cheap little thing works well for what it was intended (browsing), but I am curious. What are your experiences since your Debian install?
I run crouton vs. a complete replacement. Especially since the latest updates and extensions so you can now run it Windowed. To me that is a much easier solution than dual booting or having to switch VTs.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2864153/ ... indow.html

You can also now use scripts to launch directly to crouton

https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/wi ... OS-startup

Stuff is broken out of the box. Off the top of my head I know I had to google fixes for the trackpad. It was nothing major, just some edits to xorg.conf.

I've run it on an ARM Chromebook (Samsung 303) and an Intel Chromebook (1st Gen HP 14). Runs pretty good on both systems. I am an Xfce fanboy so it was me DE of choice. As far as software goes, my main use was for a better media player (Totem works great on the Intel Celeron) and office software (LibreOffice ran fine on both). Major limit of Debian is fewer packages available from the repos so you'll have to patch in repos by hand or download stuff the old fashioned way. Nonissue for me since Debian repos contain all the major software I use. If you do the crouton install you can use flags to get a stable Chrome browser included with the build, otherwise Firefox/Iceweasel runs great.

Storage is a potential deal breaker. I got Steam running on the HP 14 but didn't have enough space after that to download anything big (only a 16 GB SSD) though I have several indie games that ran fine.

I have not messed with doing a full replacement but I've recently switched to a MacBook and when I get around to it, I will probably do an Arch install on my HP 14 just for fun.
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

Algus, Thanks for the Chromebook tips - might make this my next project when I have some new holiday time! BTW, since I originally posted this topic I have lurked around several other forums for *BSD and Slackware. The Slackware folks can get kind of emotional about stuff like systemd - enough to where Jeremy of "llinuxquestions.org" recently cut off a 4000-reply long thread over systemd just to preserve sanity in the Slackware forum. I've found the Unix folks in the *BSD forums to be rather interesting, helpful, and informative without all of the emotional flak found in Debian/Slackware postings. That may well be because Unix has been around for 40 or so years, and the Unix gurus are a bunch of old codgers tired of bickering (they got over that some 20 years ago).

I was reluctant to post this thread several weeks ago, but I'm glad I did. The responses have been interesting and enlightening on the varied Linux user communities. The Mint folks here are really quite balanced and pragmatical in their computer usage and philosophies. Much appreciated! :D

lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Have to agree the Debian forum is flooded w azzhats, fektards and ignorant trolls. Helps to keep in mind these people really don't represent Debian itself, they just crap up it's forum. Also not like there's a shortage of other gnu/Linux forums.

So really helps also if xyz person keeps that in mind. The Debian forum has had a really bad reputation for as long as I've been addicted to gnu/nix ( every bit of which more than earned.) Actually long time users in other communities who've been using gnu/Linux for much longer periods of time than myself, informed me it's been that way forever.

Many of the aforementioned fektards, seem to have very lil respect for Debian and very lil technical knowledge for people who consider themselves tech experts, shrugs. With all the systemd controversy, no shortage of Debian forum trolls, w blatantly insulting siglines criticizing Debian and threatening to take their toys and go to some flavor of BSD. Guessing many people, including Debian would be relieved if they would.

Then they'd be somebody elses problem. Seriously doubt they ever will, will continue to whine, crap up and troll the Debian forum. Have a user acct there, even though it's several yrs old, few posts. Usually pop up there occasionally, after a short period of participation remember how sucktastic the forum is and just find another gnu/Nix community to hang out in.

Thank goodness for LMint's community, so I consider it one more thing to be grateful to open source for. Never a shortage of choices, including a diverse range of Gnu/Linux forums + communities too. :)
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

lmintnewb2 wrote:Have to agree the Debian forum is flooded w azzhats, fektards and ignorant trolls. Helps to keep in mind these people really don't represent Debian itself, they just crap up it's forum. Also not like there's a shortage of other gnu/Linux forums.

So really helps also if xyz person keeps that in mind. The Debian forum has had a really bad reputation for as long as I've been addicted to gnu/nix ( every bit of which more than earned.) Actually long time users in other communities who've been using gnu/Linux for much longer periods of time than myself, informed me it's been that way forever.

Many of the aforementioned fektards, seem to have very lil respect for Debian and very lil technical knowledge for people who consider themselves tech experts, shrugs. With all the systemd controversy, no shortage of Debian forum trolls, w blatantly insulting siglines criticizing Debian and threatening to take their toys and go to some flavor of BSD. Guessing many people, including Debian would be relieved if they would.

Then they'd be somebody elses problem. Seriously doubt they ever will, will continue to whine, crap up and troll the Debian forum. Have a user acct there, even though it's several yrs old, few posts. Usually pop up there occasionally, after a short period of participation remember how sucktastic the forum is and just find another gnu/Nix community to hang out in.

Thank goodness for LMint's community, so I consider it one more thing to be grateful to open source for. Never a shortage of choices, including a diverse range of Gnu/Linux forums + communities too. :)
Succinct post. Since I originally posted this I have found all sorts of territorial issues among all of the Linux forums. I have become rather enamored of Debian and its downstream varieties - LMDE, SolydXK, etc. But it is a political minefield to try to get useful, or contribute useful, information to the plethora of forums supposedly existing for Debian ... support.

Onward through the Phogg! :roll:

ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

I run Debian but I'm not a member on debian forums. I lurk there from time to time, however, and their fanatism is nothing compared with that of some Mac forums I used to be a member of.
friTTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friTTe »

Yeah i agree, Ubuntu forums can be that way aswell.

Arch is something you need to try out, especially when you have some fork like Antergos :)
But if you get used to it and hang in they have knowledge like whoa
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I'm running Debian Sid and I'm a member of the Debian forums. :)
But you'll never hear me say anything bad about Mint...
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

RacerBG wrote:I'm Debian user myself but I will NEVER register in their forums because of the above reasons. One thing which you can see often there is topic like "how stable is testing or sid" and they will start to attack right away: "Why would you choose testing instead of stable, we have backports, blah, blah, blah". They only care about stability, security and anti-newbie policy. The truth is however that Debian can be used by anyone and anyone can make a choice or say what he wants to say. Sadly they will never understand this. :roll:

When LMDE 2 Betsy arrives I will try it out for sure and maybe I will stay with it.
You know what amuses me? Reading about how some people think that everyone should know how use terminal, execute task by scripting, change settings by using plain text files... and then watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHGTs1NSB1s
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

You know what amuses me? Reading about how some people think that everyone should know how use terminal, execute task by scripting, change settings by using plain text files...

Typing really isn't very complicated. You did it to make that post.

and then watch this video:

A worthless little video, and mis-named (Ubuntu is in the title, but not in the video).
To save others the trouble: at least 8 years ago, Linus Torvalds had trouble installing Debian on a Macbook Air(?) - he thinks - and never tried installing it again.

The Debian installer is equivalent to the installers for Ubuntu, Mint, etc.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

Flemur wrote:You know what amuses me? Reading about how some people think that everyone should know how use terminal, execute task by scripting, change settings by using plain text files...

Typing really isn't very complicated. You did it to make that post.

and then watch this video:

A worthless little video, and mis-named (Ubuntu is in the title, but not in the video).
To save others the trouble: at least 8 years ago, Linus Torvalds had trouble installing Debian on a Macbook Air(?) - he thinks - and never tried installing it again.

Indeed typing is not complicated at all, try to explain that to a typical user, have you ever had to deal with them?
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

Ark987 wrote:Indeed typing is not complicated at all, try to explain that to a typical user, have you ever had to deal with them?
"Typical users" don't expect to type commands. Too complicated, that's for experts, I'm no geek, I just want to use my computer the easy way so I can get in touch with Susan. And then Mr. Typical User will click (or -- God forbid -- "touch") his way into Facebook somehow, and once there, he will type, he will type away all day long and make Susan happy. Go figure.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Flemur wrote: To save others the trouble: at least 8 years ago, Linus Torvalds had trouble installing Debian on a Macbook Air(?) - he thinks - and never tried installing it again.

I though also Ubuntu was included in Linus speach and had other intentions. Anyway, 8 years ago Debian installer was so different than Ubuntu and derivates...

Return to “Chat about Linux”