Introducing A Friend To Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
/dev/urandom

Re:

Post by /dev/urandom »

Dilitirio wrote:KDE for Windows? Sounds intriguing to me.
http://windows.kde.org - this is old news already. But it is only one of the several alternative DEs for Windows. :)
Dilitirio

Post by Dilitirio »

While I still have not any news about my friend, (life continues to get in the way. Ah, well) I find it interesting to note that I have managed to convert myself... The ease of everything in Mint, compared to Arch, makes its appeal as a "work" environment high, to me... So now I am running Linux Mint 17.1, Cinnamon edition.
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Introducing A Friend To Linux

Post by Ranthe »

Derek_S wrote:+1 on Mint with the Cinnamon desktop. I like the way the apps menu is categorized and the ability to scroll through them makes it even better.
+1 on Mint/ Cinnamon from me as well. I've successfully converted my wife to dual-booting Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon alongside (or more accurately, instead of) Windows 7 on her Dell Inspiron laptop for her daily use... after the gradually-mounting trouble she was having with Win7 and seeing all the issues I wasn't having on Linux, on Christmas Eve she went from live-booting the distro disk to "I've seen enough, install it now please!" within 30 minutes! And her first reaction to using the dual-boot install was basically she'd got a new computer all over again - everything worked clean and fast, and even her monitor looked better than under Windows - and over a month later she's still happy with Linux and not missing Windows at all!

And demo'ing Mint 17.1 Cinnamon to my 70+ year old father over Christmas has resulted in him taking a distro-disk home with him to experiment with, and last time I talked to him he'd successfully installed it dual-booting alongside Win7 on his six year old PC. He also reckons Linux is MUCH faster than Win7 on the same hardware, so that's looking promising too :mrgreen:

I'd have to say that after happily running Mint for getting on for six months now my first reaction to people telling me about their PC problems with old versions of Windows / how Windows 8 sucks is "Actually, there's this OS called Linux Mint which you might like to try..." 8)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Introducing A Friend To Linux

Post by Fred Barclay »

exploder wrote:
Just have him watch the Nixie Pixel videos - he will be sold...
Yeah, she could sell me on using Linux. 8)
She actually was the one who sold me on Linux Mint. :wink: All I'd dealt with at that point was Kali, TAILS (also a Nixi Pixel recommendation), and Ubuntu. She moved me from a VM Ubuntu to a hard-disk install Linux Mint.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Chat about Linux”