So... there is no compiz for linux mint cinnamon?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NunoLava1998

So... there is no compiz for linux mint cinnamon?

Post by NunoLava1998 »

Only for mate? You mate guys are lucky ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: So... there is no compiz for linux mint cinnamon?

Post by Hoser Rob »

Do I detect thinly veiled sarcasm?

Because I use cinnamon on my laptop and mate on the netbook I'm typing this on. I wouldn't use compiz on mate, period. It's quite buggy from what I can find and it defeats the purpose of it being a lighterweight DE. I don't even know if compiz is the compositor in cinnamon either because I don't actually care. It works.

Besides, Cinnamon is faster than mate with compiz as long as your graphics card has decent 3D hardware acceleration support in linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Agreed.

Compiz was great when it worked, but it's been broken far too long.

If you can get something like Kwin working under XFCE, you'd have a better compositing experience.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Cinnamon uses Muffin for compositing, it's a fork of Mutter from Gnome 3. Compiz is not compatible with Cinnamon.
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

MartyMint wrote:If you can get something like Kwin working under XFCE, you'd have a better compositing experience.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Kwin is exactly what YouTube Linux advocate Spatry used with XFCE for his "Cup Of Linux" edition of Manjaro. So it's within the realm of possibility.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

dXTC wrote:
MartyMint wrote:If you can get something like Kwin working under XFCE, you'd have a better compositing experience.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Kwin is exactly what YouTube Linux advocate Spatry used with XFCE for his "Cup Of Linux" edition of Manjaro. So it's within the realm of possibility.

I actually installed Kwin in an Ubuntu Studio virtual machine.

It's okay...

:|

For me, nothing beats Compiz compositing...back when it worked...
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

I'm not sure why so many people claim Compiz is broken. I've been using Compiz since it debuted years ago and then Beryl and finally Compiz-fusion. While personal tastes vary, I find Compiz to offer something totally unique to the Linux desktop that makes Windows and Mac users alike swoon with envy. I can honestly say that I've never had any problems (at least none that I wasn't able to solve with a quick Google search) with Compiz at all. In fact, I'm still using my original compiz profile that I exported years ago! I think the trick to trouble-free Compiz is the right hardware (very important - I always use nvidia cards) and a stable Compiz profile configuration. I don't use experimental, buggy or shoddily coded plugins.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

I agree. Compiz is rock solid in MATE 17.2 and plus, there's no noticeable difference in system performance whether Compiz is running or not (and check out my hardware specs)! Some call it "eye candy". I prefer "visually stunning functionality". 8)
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

theStreak wrote:I agree. Compiz is rock solid in MATE 17.2 and plus, there's no noticeable difference in system performance whether Compiz is running or not (and check out my hardware specs)! Some call it "eye candy". I prefer "visually stunning functionality". 8)
What, specifically, is the "functionality" part of "visually stunning functionality?" Is that the part where a minimized application window folds itself into a "paper" airplane and flies off the screen? The bit where you have snow falling on your desktop? The fire trails when you zig-zag your mouse cursor back and forth? Having your desktop take on the appearance of a cube (or a fish tank, or...) that you can spin around instead of running out of things to play with and actually getting some work done, lol? Or maybe all of the above in that it keeps your seven-year old engrossed enough that he/she doesn't notice that you've nipped off to the pub for a quick one without bothering to ring up the sitter to stop by first?

Seriously, what improvement in functionality does Compiz bring to the table? I suppose something like an ability to adjust the amount of translucency any given application window has could be considered as such, since it can allow you to view one fullscreen window's content at the same time you're working in another application's fullscreen window - but since even Xfce's (admittedly, somewhat limited) window manager has that feature, I'm assuming that most all of them do.

Just curious,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Odd. I have Compiz on Mint17.2/Cinnamon and I did not install it. Compiz came built in.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You must be in error. Search in the history of Synaptic for compiz.
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
theStreak wrote:I agree. Compiz is rock solid in MATE 17.2 and plus, there's no noticeable difference in system performance whether Compiz is running or not (and check out my hardware specs)! Some call it "eye candy". I prefer "visually stunning functionality". 8)
What, specifically, is the "functionality" part of "visually stunning functionality?" Is that the part where a minimized application window folds itself into a "paper" airplane and flies off the screen? The bit where you have snow falling on your desktop? The fire trails when you zig-zag your mouse cursor back and forth? Having your desktop take on the appearance of a cube (or a fish tank, or...) that you can spin around instead of running out of things to play with and actually getting some work done, lol? Or maybe all of the above in that it keeps your seven-year old engrossed enough that he/she doesn't notice that you've nipped off to the pub for a quick one without bothering to ring up the sitter to stop by first?

Seriously, what improvement in functionality does Compiz bring to the table? I suppose something like an ability to adjust the amount of translucency any given application window has could be considered as such, since it can allow you to view one fullscreen window's content at the same time you're working in another application's fullscreen window - but since even Xfce's (admittedly, somewhat limited) window manager has that feature, I'm assuming that most all of them do.

Just curious,
MDM
Actually, I'm not a real big fan of the more "eye candy-like" features that you mention. I do like having additional options to get around on my desktop though. I don't know about Xfce, but MATE doesn't come endowed with such features as expo or scale, which I find handy as well. Plus, even though MATE implements every conceivable bit of drag and drop functionality one could ever want, Compiz provides even more -- and I'm a drag and droppin' fool when it comes to desktop usage. ;) And being as Compiz is stable as hell and doesn't affect performance in the least, I may as well enjoy having the coolest looking desktop in the house while I'm at it. How'd you know that I sneak out for a brew when I'm really supposed to be watching the kids? Love your sig line, BTW! lol!

Return to “Chat about Linux”