SLED12 moved to Gnome3, Ubuntu Unity8 moves to QT?!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nikolai_D

SLED12 moved to Gnome3, Ubuntu Unity8 moves to QT?!

Post by Nikolai_D »

Hi there,
I tought where would i post this, since my impression is Mint forums are maybe a littlebit more independant/less biased/more appropriate for this sort of a question then Ubuntu forums, since also using some alternative DE (Cinnamon) by default. I hope getting maybe interesting opinion here.
Last year or so i have been studying some C# in a spare time.
Since i also want to write a gui for adtool to have some kind of RSAT->ADUC for Linux one day. First i discovered Mono. But then i discovered its only Open Source for Educational purposes.
Now recentely i also have been, again (played with it already years back), trough some Dreamweaver basics, and this year i am about to take a look at some WebDev stuff, a lilbit of Drupal and some PHP maybe.
And recentely i discovered Vala (has C# like syntax), which sounds awesome, so this is why i started reading about GObject, on which it works.
As i understand Dreamweaver gives the way to Drupal because you cant really somewhat click around and create a good structure of a website. Thats also the reason, i suppose, why frameworks like ROR/Django are al the rage nowadays. Now after reading wikipedia article about GObject, which is actually quite interesting, because it talks about/somewhat compares the famous C++ and C#, and gives some little more idea on them.
I tought of GObject as also kind of something inbetween a library and a framework. If it may be tought of in those terms.
So then it looks like, if you see how forks of Gnome Shell become quite popular (Cinnamon/Pantheon-Elementary), and i dont really see like many KDE based anything? That maybe indeed GObject as a certain structure/model that gives posibility/makes it easier to actually programm GUI. Maybe QT gives the way to Gnome3 with its GObject same way Dreamweaver-like things give way to Drupal/Frameworks.
Now if that is true i can understand why Suse switched to Gnome3.
But what is the strategy about Ubuntu Unity8 move to QT then? That i have been hearing about. Something i have not tought of yet? Or just not a best decision maybe?

Thanks in advance,
Sorry for a bit longer post,
Nikolai
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: SLED12 moved to Gnome3, Ubuntu Unity8 moves to QT?!

Post by xenopeek »

I think that has to do with Canonical's ambitions for Ubuntu: aside from Ubuntu on desktop and server, also moving to mobile and to internet of things devices. Qt is a match for that, as it runs on about anything. KDE has frameworks on top of Qt IIRC; meaning KDE applications aren't "pure" Qt applications and drag along the entire KDE frameworks if you install such an application on a non-KDE system (it gets better with next version of KDE, where the frameworks are more modular). VLC and VirtualBox for example are pure Qt I believe.

At the end of the day it is what you are most comfortable with; whatever frameworks or GUI toolkit you use, you can generally run such applications on any Linux installation (for example all Linux Mint editions have applications from both of the common GUI toolkits installed; GTK+ applications as used on GNOME and derivatives and Xfce and such; and Qt applications as used on KDE, Unity8, and others).
Nikolai_D

Re: SLED12 moved to Gnome3, Ubuntu Unity8 moves to QT?!

Post by Nikolai_D »

Thank you very mucho,
perfect answer confirming what i tought,
without judging or any other nonsense or side effective off topic issues :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”