ROG Gladius polling rate issues

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Suros

ROG Gladius polling rate issues

Post by Suros »

So I recently decided to treat myself to a new mouse, and found something worth mentioning. This mouse has a small bit of internal flash storage for loading in custom settings that will stick, regardless of what you plug it into. So after booting up my only remaining Windows installation and setting things like I wanted, I brought it back to my desktop for use. After about 10 minutes, my user session abruptly ends in the middle of a game and blows up all of my virtual servers with it. Thinking it was just a fluke after 7 months without a crash, I simply logged back in and carried on. Later I came back to a completely unresponsive system which required a hard shutdown.

Since I was unable to find any mention of people using this mouse in Linux, I figured I better submit what I found. One of the big brags of this device is that it's the first mouse to offer a polling rate of 2000Hz. While this isn't the reason I purchased it, I figured I ought to just crank it up anyway. (I'm not lacking for processing power by any means.) After hopping around and looking for documentation, the best polling rate I could find support for was only 1000Hz. So I started up the horribly slow Windows system again and cranked it down. (Starting Windows puts me in a bad mood anymore. Mint has spoiled me.) Since then I have had no issues avoiding crashes.

Hopefully my findings are accurate so this warning doesn't throw people off. Will report back if things turn ugly again.

Edit: I've found that the same issue will still occur, although much less frequently, at 1000Hz. Only seems to appear during heavy gaming sessions that are prone to large graphical spikes. Now using 500Hz and will report back if I come up with anything new.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Chat about Linux”