(Solved) virus

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BoDill
Level 5
Level 5

(Solved) virus

Post by BoDill »

In looking around the Internet for information on viruses , etc. that may infect Linux, I found different answers ranging from "no problem" to a website called "Unixmen.com" that lists several. In the Linux forum, a search of the word "Virus" got 3885 hits today. 1.) Is there someplace that I can look to find out about visuses and other things that may infect Linux Mint 17? By the way, during the search of "Virus" in this forum, I tired to cut down the number of repies from 3885 by entering some different words, but still get the same 3885 answers. 2.) Does anyone think that a topic of "Latest Linux Virus Information" which could be monitored and updated daily by Linux administrators is a good idea? Or does it already exist and I just haven't found it yet?

Thank you,
BoDill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop: OptiPlex-790 ; Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia Mate (Renew 2027)
Laptop: Dell Latitude E6420; Linux Mint 20.3 Una Mate (Renew April 2025)
Laptop 2: HP ProBook 440 G3, Linux Mint 20.3 Una Mate (Renew April 2025)
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Re: virus

Post by Buzzsaw »

Does anyone think that a topic of "Latest Linux Virus Information" which could be monitored and updated daily by Linux administrators is a good idea?
I think that a "Latest Linux Virus Information" thread would get spider webs on it. And updated daily? I think updated once a decade would probably be too often.
I found different answers ranging from "no problem" to a website called "Unixmen.com" that lists several.
Is this the page you're refering to? The viruses listed on there are all ancient, and it says that there are no viruses in the wild. That means that you can't become infected with them.
Is there someplace that I can look to find out about visuses and other things that may infect Linux Mint 17?
Yes. If you look at a blank sheet of paper, you'll find the complete list of recent viruses that can infect Linux Mint 17.
BoDill
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BoDill »

To Buzzsaw,

Thank you, and yes, the page you linked to is the one.

I asked this question in the first place because I'm not a "Computer head", and I read an article somewhere recently that stated that viruses are being generated lately to infect Linux (I can't remember where I saw the article), and I have no confidence that I would be aware of all the possibilites. For new and old users of Linux, I would think that a "Latest viruses" page would be helpful, even if it was blank!!!

Such a page would certainkly be more helpful than sarcasm.

BoDill
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

@ Bo Dill, which part of 'there are no viruses than can infect a Linux system' can't you understand?

Viruses infect Windows machines because approx 95% of computer users use Windows.

A tiny minority of about 3% use Apple Macs and the rest use one of the approx 350 different versions of Linux.

Because of the way Linux users run their machines, as Users rather than Administrators, as Windows users do, it means that a virus can not get a hold on a Linux machine.

If you had a criminal mind (not saying you have!), which systems would you target, the 95% or the minority of 2% that use many different systems?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

In the twelve and a half years that I've been using Linux, I have never been infected with any virus or malware, nor has any Linux user that I know of. Linux has several features that make it less susceptible to viruses than Windows, among them is the fact that any new file that appears on the system must be given permission to run before it can run. So even if they manage to plant a virus on your computer, it can't run unless you specifically change the permissions yourself. I'm not saying that it's impossible to get infected with a virus if you're running Linux, but I am saying it is rather unlikely. There are several virus scanners available for Linux, but they are mostly used to scan Windows partitions. But you can scan your Linux partition if you want to. If anything, it's likely to come up with false positives.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

''Does anyone think that a topic of "Latest Linux Virus Information" which could be monitored and updated daily by Linux administrators is a good idea?'' No, but not for any technical reason; I think any idea that involves extra work for someone else is intrinsically bad.
BoDill
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BoDill »

To all, and especially Turtlebay777,

I think the best answer to my question is, "Because of the way Linux users run their machines, as Users rather than Administrators, as Windows users do, it means that a virus can not get a hold on a Linux machine", and I appretiate it. Thank you.

Again, however, I did just read an article about a new virus aimed at Linux users, but I can'r remember where I saw it. Also, there is a post about Linux Viruses at "http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ ... nti-virus/", but I haven't digested it yet. I have seen references to "ClamAV", which I believe is an anti-virus program for Linux, but again, have not investigated it yet.

To MuteAnt,

I would gladly voluteer to do a daily "Virus" column, but I don't have the skill, knowledge, nor resources to be any good at it. Obviously, I am not very good with computer stuff.

Thanks again,
BoDill
deleted

Post by deleted »

Virus/Malware discussions (with respect to Linux) are FUD.
Over 90% of Wall St. runs on Linux, so Linux _is_ a target.
Granted, they are hardened because they have static ip addresses _and_ externally visible [web, sql, ssh, etc]servers, but the average Linux user (one without static ip _and_ external servers) will have 0, nada, nil, zilch viruses/malware. Well almost 0. Given enough time anything is possible. The occurrence will be significantly less than Windows _with_ a virus/malware scanner.
-Hinto
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

Could there be a bit of a terminology issue here ?

Many people do not distinguish between viruses, malware, vulnerabilities, bugs, hacks, etc. In terms of viruses, they are effectively only a theory in Linux world. Linux is not immune though, to things like bugs and vulnerabilities, although that risk is very, very limited too.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

hinto wrote:Given enough time anything is possible.
touchē

A computer is only as safe the the nut behind the keyboard.
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

Habitual wrote:
hinto wrote:Given enough time anything is possible.
touchē

A computer is only as safe the the nut behind the keyboard.
My computer is screwed then.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Viruses are software. Ever try to install software on a Linux system without an administrator password? You can't! NOTHING (software-wise) installs "transparently" - i.e. without user participation. So the user is the #1 safety feature. Since you will only type the appropriate password when you are trying to install software... when I first started Using Linux Mint - on a "test bed" machine - I tried to get the machine infected... I surfed some of the slimiest sites on the net... took a while to find one that actually tried to install malware. When it tried, a pop-up informed me of the attempt to install "software" and asked for the admin password. I clicked "cancel" and went on uninfected. It's that simple. There are only 2 risks (that I know of) that are more problematic - 1) installing dubious software from dubious sources - could be malware - exercise care in who you trust. 2) The browser runs executable code (scripts) and can be affected by malware. This is easy to prevent AND easy to fix if you don't prevent and get unlucky. If you search these forums, you should be able to find threads discussing browser hijackings (an example of browser vulnerability). This (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... lit=+virus) is 1 example that I remember... as you can see, the "damage" is minimal (corruption of FireFox profile for 1 user only - system untouched) and the fix is quick, easy, and complete (close FF, delete the affected profile, open FF - browse as usual).

Enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
deleted

Post by deleted »

^It also takes the execution bit to run, not an extension.
-Hinto
mctom
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mctom »

Even as a Windows user I have never used antivirus software for daily protection, way back since 1992 (that is, since I can remember).
My experience showed it is indeed the user who gets tricked into installing unwanted software, not a computer gets "infected". Staying out of naughty, naughty websites and ignoring unwanted e-mails would make 90% users safe.
In case of Linux, however, it's even harder to let things go wrong. Every time something important happens, like changing system settings or installing software, a password is needed. No way around it!
I am an inexperienced linux user, so please don't hesitate to correct me if I am wrong. Thank you!

Punk ain't no religious cult, Punk means thinking for yourself!
dontNull

Post by dontNull »

So I'm guessing you have already read:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=31723

But you haven't, then have a look.

As others have pointed out, Linux is very safe and secure, even without anti-virus software.
Reasons:

Linux is targeted less, as there are less users
Linux usually is not run as Admin/root. (Although you can run some distros as root and can Windows as non-admin)
Linux is harder to for viruses to infect as there are less bugs to take advantage of.
(This is due to the code being open source so any can see a bug and suggest a fix, and the code is smaller (less bloat-ware))
Even without anti-virus, the Linux firewalls usually stop any malicious code.
Code is not automatically executable.
(Exceptions are Java and Java-script running in browsers, but these can be disabled, and are quite limited in what they can do anyway.)

While there have been a few 'test' virus in Linux, to prove it is possible.
These are not a concern themselves as they were not released over the internet.

The only concerning malicious program for Linus I have heard of is a Trojan; called 'Hand of Thief'
You read about it here:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-desk ... steals-in/
However this can only infect your computer if you are trick into clicking on a bad link.

All this a side the only likely (but not that likely) way you would get a virus is if your were running Wine.
This allows you to run Windows programs on Linux, but may also allow some Windows viruses to execute.
They however probably will not be able to do much damage to your Linux system, and can be stopped in there tracks by turning Wine off.

Jay :)
BoDill
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BoDill »

To: niowluka on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:44 pm,

Thank you for your answer. As you guessed, I used the word "virus" when I actually meant "any kind of malware, virus, etc. etc. etc,". I am not, and don't pretend to be a computer savy person. I probably have no business using Linux Mint 17, but I got so fed up with Windows that I looked for an alternative and found Linux. Your patience is appreciated.

BoDill
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

I got fed up with Windows too. The thing that made me change to Linux was acquiring a 'Vundo' virus a few years ago. I've had viruses in Windows 98 and Windows Me that completely destroyed my operating system.
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

As for viruses, I hope the answer is clear that linux has about 98% "immunity", if you will, to such threats. See all the other good posts here for more info.

As for Windows 98 and ME.... yikes. Even Windows XP is atrocious for security. I hope you arent using any of those operating systems currently!
BoDill
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BoDill »

As long as we're on the subject, I have two computers, both old DELL's purchased off the Internet (Models Optiplex GX650 and GX620) and have ONLY Linux on one and ONLY Windows XP on the other.

After about a year with Linux, I turn on and use Windows ONLY for odd problems, see (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ll#p973357), and printing on my old Lexmark Z22, as I am not a computer whiz, and my Linux machine doesn't seem to want to print on the Z22.

I made this move when Gates left Microsoft, and Windows became the nightmare that it is now. I kept XP because, to the best of my knowledge, that is where Gates' input left off. Regardless of anyone else's opinion of Gates, I like the fact that he is investing his fortune in improving the impoverished world.

Ok, I'll put the soapbox away.

Thanks again to all,
BoDill
glhallway

Post by glhallway »

About the only thing close to a virus I have seen in Mint 12 to 17.1 is a few add cookies in firefox. Simple fix clear cookies.

Return to “Chat about Linux”