Free online LINUX course for newbies

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Elt10W

Free online LINUX course for newbies

Post by Elt10W »

This course is designed by Linus Torvalds himself. It's a good starting point for anyone new to linux. (A basic knowledge of computing terminology is required).

To sign up for the course, you will need to create an account (of course). You can obtain a certificate, but that is if you pay the fee for the course. I have taken the original course which is free, I just didn't get a certificate. All materials and access to the course are the same, whether you are a paying student or not. (There is also a community discussion forum open to all).

You can login to your account either via your email address and password, or linked via your Facebook, or Google Plus account.

It's given by EDX: https://www.edx.org/. The newer revised course is:
:arrow: LFS101x.2 Introduction to Linux

DISCLAIMER: I have no vested commercial, partnership, or other interest in EDX, other than that I have taken the original first online course as an independent private student.

I highly recommend this online training course to anyone who is new to linux. :!:

cordially and respectfully.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Free online LINUX course for newbies

Post by xenopeek »

Eh, no it's not designed by Linus Torvalds (how did you come up with that one :D). It's designed by Jerry Cooperstein of the Linux Foundation; says so right on the course's page: https://www.edx.org/course/introduction ... -lfs101x-2

The original course has been available since August 1st 2014. I wonder what the revisions are.
Elt10W

Re: Free online LINUX course for newbies

Post by Elt10W »

:oops: I stand corrected :oops: ... when I saw it first announced, I'm pretty sure that the O.P. stated the course was designed by Torvalds myself. ...but I'm not <ahem!> the brightest bulb... :!: :mrgreen: Nonetheless, I did manage a 93% score on the final test. and I didn't refer to the course material during the test (though it's allowed..). So "there's hope for me still". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux”