GNOME 3.14 - second thoughts

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RacerBG

GNOME 3.14 - second thoughts

Post by RacerBG »

Yesterday, after weeks of playing with KDE 4.14.2, I tried GNOME 3.14.1 (still using Debian Jessie).

Short background: I'm not a fan of mobile interfaces or anything which is created for tablets in mind when we talk about PC's!

My original opinion about GNOME was - it *sucks*. But how about the latest GNOME 3.14.1? Well my first impression was LOL! It really is not my kind of DE but it has improved a lot from version 3.10 (which I was testing before). After playing with the GNOME control center, it performed really well on my aging PC. It was a real pleasure to see the GNOME tweak tool included by default and thanks to it I customised it to my liking. I was almost ready to give a few weeks dedicated to GNOME usage but after installing "linux-firmware" from the Debian repos my screen went crazy! :( Using the free driver is not a solution because GNOME is too slow with it. Interesting enough KDE 4.14.2 is using just fine "linux-firmware" drivers. :roll:

After all I will not blame GNOME for this (maybe Wayland problem) and I will say that GNOME 3.14 is a really good choice even for hard core desktop users like me. Just be warned that you *may experience* some problems! Anyway I will continue my Debian trip with KDE 4.14.2. 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Chat about Linux”