Think about it...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Think about it...

Post by coffee412 »

Since we are now all looking forward to another year, I am sitting here this morning with my coffee looking over the new threads and reminising back on this new years eve.

There was a time when we didnt have linux. It was a time that Windows was the only operating system besides Apple (That you couldnt afford to have). We are so lucky to have linux and all the flavors available today. Now we can take almost any computer and load linux on it, Totally configure it, Install any software we desire.

Before linux, We worked with about 12 floppy disks that we loaded windows on a computer. This took forever and then if you wanted any other software you had to buy it. Doing alot of things with linux today you couldnt do back then. The cost of software kept alot of talented people from even learning how to do things like video editing. We have come a long way indeed!

When I started with Linux back around the time kernel 2.0.36 (Redhat 4.0) was launched, You had to first roll your own kernel. The configuration of this kernel ment that there was certain hardware you had to have. Like, A creative sound card. Any other and you couldnt really have sound. After you spent hours configuring your kernel and compiling it you would cross your fingers and hope it would boot. From there you would have to work on setting up your desktop. This was no easy task either. When you were done you had a 16 color desktop and any other software you wanted installed you also compiled by hand. Things have come a long way since then. Today we click some buttons and presto! Your software is installed and ready to go.

Back then, The name of the game for companies like Microsoft was to keep the software/hardware combination locked down and if you wanted to run a computer you bought Microsoft with it. When you were actually lucky to buy a new motherboard you would spend over 400 dollars for something like the latest 486 based board. In fact, I lived near an IBM outlet and we regularly went "Dumpster Diving" to get parts we needed. We just didnt have a lot of money. Today you can buy a motherboard for under 100 bucks easy.

We are starting a new year but if you look back you see similar things happening. Today we see smartphones and tablets on the market. However, A lot of them are locked down with software that is pretty much propriety in nature. This is the manufactuers attempts to control how you use your devices. They like control. However, We are making a lot of progress as we can now reload our cell phones with other software but still they are trying to control where and what you get. Things will change though. Its just a matter of time.

How lucky we really are today. We have the ability to do whatever we wish with our computers. Its a far cry from the old days indeed. Therefore, When you get frustrated because some software or hardware is not working like it should do not get too upset over it. These problems you face today with incompatible hardware and software glitches are a far cry from what we faced before linux. Being told what you can and cannot do with your computer is far worse than trying to figure out how to get some device to work with linux.

I for one, Am very grateful of all the Developers involved in linux. Perhaps I appreciate this because I grew up in the days of closed software and hardware. For those that never went thru these earlier days I hope you appreciate what freedom actually means. The freedom to do whatever you wish. This is a powerful thing and its always being challenged by powerful entities. But whatever you do - Never trade your freedom for convieniance. If you do then you are no longer free.

So, With that I raise my cup of coffee and salute those involved with the development of linux. Those that help others in the forums to those that develop code to the kernel and improve software - Thank you for everything you do.

BTW - Pardon my spelling errors. Its just early morning glitches. :)
coffee :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Think about it...

Post by jimallyn »

I also appreciate all we've been given by the Linux and Open Source community. To give something back to the community, I try to help others when they are having a problem (those few times that I know enough to help). Yeah, it's a sweet deal we've got, isn't it?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Yes, A sweet deal indeed.

To give back I also help as much as I can. In fact, Im just finishing up a promo video for Linux Mint that I want to release. I guess youtube is the best place to do it? I do this now and again when I feel inspired. :)

coffee
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Be sure to post a link when you finish your Linux promo video. I will definitely want to share that with my friends!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

jimallyn wrote:Be sure to post a link when you finish your Linux promo video. I will definitely want to share that with my friends!
Sure will. I probably spent a total of about 20 hours on it.

If you are interested, I did one before this and here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HESL32T ... e=youtu.be

The only thing, At the time I put my company logo on it. This one I did I left it off.

coffee
skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skywolfblue »

coffee412 wrote:So, With that I raise my cup of coffee and salute those involved with the development of linux. Those that help others in the forums to those that develop code to the kernel and improve software - Thank you for everything you do.
*Raises glass* Hear Hear!

Linux has come a long way in terms of userfriendlyness in recent years, it's well worth saluting the people who have worked so hard to make it so!
CharlieChipmunk

Post by CharlieChipmunk »

just like that apparition in your default pic, you are a communist.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

And you are a troll !
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

CharlieChipmunk wrote:just like that apparition in your default pic, you are a communist.
So Groucho Marx was a commie ??? :roll:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." -Groucho Marx
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
GarryRicketson

Post by GarryRicketson »

I for one, Am very grateful of all the Developers involved in linux. Perhaps I appreciate this because I grew up in the days of closed software and hardware. For those that never went thru these earlier days I hope you appreciate what freedom actually means. The freedom to do whatever you wish. This is a powerful thing and its always being challenged by powerful entities. But whatever you do - Never trade your freedom for convieniance. If you do then you are no longer free.

So, With that I raise my cup of coffee and salute those involved with the development of linux. Those that help others in the forums to those that develop code to the kernel and improve software - Thank you for everything you do.
Me too, I appreciate very much that Linux is available, I kind of "dropped out" of computers for awhile, way back when MS windows first came out, never liked it, even to start with, Unix is best, but much more then one needs in a PC, or laptop, ....kind of rambling here, but it was about 1995 , when I left off, or "dropped out" , for some time I did not really use any computers, occasionally one in a public library, later, I guess, 2,001 or so, by then the MS malware was up to windowsXP, and that is when I first started using linux, my boss at work, bought me a small laptop, and the first thing I did was get the ms malware off of it, and for a while just used freedos, but later I realized I needed more then just Dos, so I looked into linux, I sure am glad it was/is available,... which leads to something that really baffles me, I just can not understand, why people , and I notice this in many posts, in the support forums, it seems they claim to like linux, but for some mysterious reason also insist on keeping the MS malware, now windows 8, on their machines, with linux, there is no real need for the MS malware, and I cannot understand why anyone would want to keep it in their computer, all it will do is cause problems. But any way, thank fully we are free to choose and use what ever software, good or bad, that we choose. Inspite of microsofts efforts to prevent that, for example they have now made it to where you can not hardly buy a new computer, with out having the malware in it, and from what I understand it is extremely difficult, to remove the malware, and install a linux distro on the newest equipment, ? don't know for sure on that because I have not tried it yet, but that also would be another subject ,..ok, well now I got tired of "rambling", thank you all for making linux possible and available.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Hi Garry,

Nice post. I understand your feelings on the "Malware" bit of windows. They have even gone farther and pushed the UEFI deal in the bios. Iam very suscipicious of their motives on that. I just turn it off and also secure boot of course. Just a bunch of wasted code in the bios.

Take care,

coffee412

Return to “Chat about Linux”