What made Ubuntu so popular to begin with?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maxp779
Level 1
Level 1

What made Ubuntu so popular to begin with?

Post by maxp779 »

Looking at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_dist ... meline.svg

Debian seems to be the most popular base for linux distros, largely due to the boatload of distros based off Ubuntu, if it werent for Ubuntu then Debian and Red Hat based distros would likely be equal in number. Im all for quality over quantity but what was it Ubuntu did around 2004-2006 to make it so much more popular than other distributions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What made Ubuntu so popular to begin with?

Post by Neil Edmond »

Basically, Ubuntu made Debian easy (easier?) to use, by including select packages and non-free firmware by default. Yes, a knowledgable user could do the same thing for themselves, but Ubuntu delivered an OS where it was already done.

Just my $ .02 worth.
jahid

Post by jahid »

I recall them distributing free CD's all over the world even without any shipping cost..... :D
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

And, they also let you run the OS inside of windows like it was an ordinary program.
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

Ubuntu (Canonical) tried to make Ubuntu imitate Windows experience as close as possible, making it very very user friendly. Something that imho is what all and every distro should strive for. I am not saying that it should come with a price of giving up flexibility and customisation options, but linux distros that target common users needs to be as close to windows type operation experience as possible. That means better compatibility (which is not as much of a Linux issue as OEM) better configuration and setup process, more streamline and less geeky. Better application install process. And less CLI need. I have been on windows since win 3.1 and after windows 95 I have never need to use CLI unless it is for verry specific need, like run a butch job where I need to see the output or something like that. All else I can and do using gui tools and apps. Linux is stuck in the past and not going forward as it should. Future is in gui. CLI is an archaic interface that though will not really go away compleatly but should be hidden behind a good freindly gui.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
alaixi

Post by alaixi »

Ubuntu was easy to install, easyer than debian and globaly more sexy. ( more beautiful ).

Ubuntu have a big community for beginers who need help, a good forum, and lots of tutorials.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Ubuntu hit the right time to appear on the Linux scene. Because back in 2004 Linux was already catching up Windows. And as the others said - Ubuntu was "Debian made easy". If Ubuntu was released just 1-2 years later it would be just yet another Debian based distro.

Return to “Chat about Linux”