Linux Mint VS Ubuntu VS Debian

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tol

Linux Mint VS Ubuntu VS Debian

Post by Tol »

I am wondering which Linux OS is better : Linux Mint, Ubuntu, or Debian.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WinterTroubles

Re: Linux Mint VS Ubuntu VS Debian

Post by WinterTroubles »

If we assume that most people will be using the OS that they consider to be 'better' and we then make note that we are in the Mint forums, which consists of mostly Mint users... Could we simply assume that a majority of forum members are likely to say Mint :mrgreen:
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Tol wrote:I am wondering which Linux OS is better : Linux Mint, Ubuntu, or Debian.
You are free to wonder, of course, and to decide for yourself. Yet, in fact there is no reasonable and no logical answer to this question, which will be accepted by all.
Moreover, Ubuntu is based on Debian, and the main edition of Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu. So who are we to blame our own roots? :wink:
In fact for me Ubuntu and Linux Mint work equally well. It is only the Linux Mint user interfaces, Cinnamon and xfce in my case, which I personally like better than the Ubuntu user interface Unity. But this is my personal taste, not a question of bad, good or better.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Linus MacWinfrey

Post by Linus MacWinfrey »

karlchen wrote:
Tol wrote:I am wondering which Linux OS is better : Linux Mint, Ubuntu, or Debian.
You are free to wonder, of course, and to decide for yourself. Yet, in fact there is no reasonable and no logical answer to this question, which will be accepted by all.
Moreover, Ubuntu is based on Debian, and the main edition of Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu. So who are we to blame our own roots? :wink:
In fact for me Ubuntu and Linux Mint work equally well. It is only the Linux Mint user interfaces, Cinnamon and xfce in my case, which I personally like better than the Ubuntu user interface Unity. But this is my personal taste, not a question of bad, good or better.
Clem and his clan produce a refinement over Ubuntu, which is more fluid to use and more stable, less bleeding edges. Therefore, the better option for those wanting to use a pc and not make fetish love to it.
opptinmer

Post by opptinmer »

@Tol, It's rather a personal choice. There is not a 'better' option for everyone. I used to be an Ubuntu fanboy, but time changed after the release of 12.04, which became too complicated and a bit of bloated. And now Mint is my favorite Linux distro.
Last edited by opptinmer on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It depends on what forum you ask the question.

In this forum it's Mint.
In Ubuntu's forum it's Ubuntu.
In the debian forum you won't get an answer. Instead you will be called an idiot for asking a question that has an obvious answer.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Chat about Linux”