Anybody used Zorin?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jo4

Anybody used Zorin?

Post by Jo4 »

Has anybody used Zorin? If so, any views on it?

I have tried to communicate with them but get no responce?

Jo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jo4

Re: Anybody used Zorin?

Post by Jo4 »

Jo4 wrote:Has anybody used Zorin? If so, any views on it?

I have tried to communicate with them but get no responce?

Jo
I am trying to make some headway, so attempted to install it, but got the following?

"E: Type 'Zorin' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report."

Jo
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Are you trying to install it within Mint? You can't do that. You need to install it to its own partitions on the disk, or you could just install VirtualBox to Mint, then install Zorin in there.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It is a separate distro based on ubuntu like mint and a number of others are. So no, you can't just install it like a DE.

I looked at their site once. The first thing to do with anything like this is to look at their support/docs section. Theirs was just terrible. Forget it IMHO.

The idea is that it mimics Windows 7. That may sound good to some but while you may be able to make a linux DE look like windows it will not act like windows.

In other words I think it's a pointless idea, poorly supported, that's catching noobs.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Zorin and LM are for newbies, but Zorin is more for computer iliterates. It is more dumbed down and you can't do geeky stuffs. If that what you want, go for it.
But forget dual-boot and all the headache with it. LM is user-friendly, but allow you to get under the hood.

Sheng-Chieh
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

yep - have used Zorin 6 LTS, which is similar to LinuxMint 13 LTS .
- in both a VM & in a tri-boot setup, within it's own partition.

it works very well, for what it is designed to be.
- a step away from the M$ world - for N00Bs.

it's *not* a DE :!: - you have to install it, the same way as you would install a LinuxMint O/S.
- if you like that one, then look at RoboLinux as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Yeah, I've briefly used Zorin before. In fact, I recently installed it on a laptop that I'm going to give to my mother-in-law.
I don't like it much myself, however. I find it difficult to navigate around the menu...it's too much like Windows.
Jo4

Post by Jo4 »

Thanks for that everyone. Still in the 'struggle to understand the terminal window', so looking for Mac look a like diversional therapy.

Best wishes to you all,

Jo
Maik

Post by Maik »

I tried Zorin about 3-4 years back when I was looking for a Windows alternative. It wasn't especially well known at the time but was starting to get good reviews. Pretty much my first Linux experience and I was wowed. At the time their support forums were pretty much non-existent so I tried to contact the Zorin brothers. Like you, I found they're not very communicative. Creating a great distro *for Linux newbs* and then giving no support seemed pretty pointless, so I gave up on Zorin and on Linux.

I'm genuinely pleased to see that Zorin OS is popular, it's easy to diss it as 'for noobs' but without newbs Linux will be as dead as the dodo. I tried Zorin OS again, very briefly, several months ago but I prefer Mint, I think it'll have more mileage in it.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Jo4 wrote:Thanks for that everyone. Still in the 'struggle to understand the terminal window', so looking for Mac look a like diversional therapy.

Best wishes to you all,

Jo
Nothing works like the Mac. A given user may not like how it operates but OSX represents what is possible when one company with one vision and one voice has complete and total control over how it operates on hardware it created for this purpose. Most mac users are not even aware there is a terminal in OSX.

You can install a Linux that some say looks like OSX - like ElementaryOS. But this is basically a new front end over Ubuntu. So it may give you an OSX like look to things it's still Ubuntu underneath. Whatever discombobulations and bugs that occur in Ubuntu - and those whose remedies entail some terminal work - are still going to exist in Elementary.

Irrelevant side note: I just installed ElementaryOS into a VBox guest just to see how close it was to OSX. Some observations - after about 10 minutes of use :wink: :
I suppose if you squint a certain way it sorta kinda looks like Yosemite.
I would think that one could reproduce the look of this on say Xubuntu with a little work.
It is remarkably fast and responsive - probably the fastest OS I've ever used - although there's not much installed by default.
Network discovery ( I'm talking about discovering samba servers on my network ) is astonishingly fast. Even faster that OSX itself.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Linus MacWinfrey

Post by Linus MacWinfrey »

A rather nice OS and a hearty, friendly user forum not unlike Mint's own. It seems the nicer folks use either Zorin or Mint.

Zorin has its quirks with workspaces disappearing, etc.

Mint is still more reliable, stable and secure and still has the upper hand but Zorin really is nice. Just falling short of Mint!

Mac: I convert my Macs to Linux Mint. Mac OS X has too many inconsistencies and the Apple ecosystem is a deal killer because very update breaks what had worked before. It is really nice having Mint on a Mac platform instead, or you can get HP Elitebook / Dell XPS and format that. Having a backlit keyboard and a metal chassis just beats plastic hands down.
Last edited by Linus MacWinfrey on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linus MacWinfrey

Post by Linus MacWinfrey »

altair4 wrote:
It is remarkably fast and responsive - probably the fastest OS I've ever used - although there's not much installed by default.
Network discovery ( I'm talking about discovering samba servers on my network ) is astonishingly fast. Even faster that OSX itself.
Any Linux is about 3x faster than Mac on regular processing - see the Phoronix benchmark testing.

ElementaryOS gave lotsa hassles when I tried to install it, compared to the <10 minutes the seamless Mint installs generally take. Elementary is a joke compared to Zorin and Mint.
Jo4

Post by Jo4 »

altair4 wrote:
Jo4 wrote:Thanks for that everyone. Still in the 'struggle to understand the terminal window', so looking for Mac look a like diversional therapy.

Best wishes to you all,

Jo
Nothing works like the Mac. A given user may not like how it operates but OSX represents what is possible when one company with one vision and one voice has complete and total control over how it operates on hardware it created for this purpose. Most mac users are not even aware there is a terminal in OSX.

You can install a Linux that some say looks like OSX - like ElementaryOS. But this is basically a new front end over Ubuntu. So it may give you an OSX like look to things it's still Ubuntu underneath. Whatever discombobulations and bugs that occur in Ubuntu - and those whose remedies entail some terminal work - are still going to exist in Elementary.

Irrelevant side note: I just installed ElementaryOS into a VBox guest just to see how close it was to OSX. Some observations - after about 10 minutes of use :wink: :
I suppose if you squint a certain way it sorta kinda looks like Yosemite.
I would think that one could reproduce the look of this on say Xubuntu with a little work.

Since downloading 0SX Yosemite and having a very senior moment filling in iCloud requests for my inside leg details, then having to contact Apple help and getting some nice gent from India, who told me my Mac was contaminated, The mac is running at half speed. So, I have a lot of work to do to rescue matters.

Your suggestions are very interesting and I will look further at it all when or if I get to the bottom of the problem.

Many thanks for your help.

Jo

Return to “Chat about Linux”