Is it safe to install linux kernel 3.18 in Mint?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintMaid

Is it safe to install linux kernel 3.18 in Mint?

Post by MintMaid »

I've read this news:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... 18-ubuntu/

Seems Linus have made a stable linux kernel 3.18
Seems it's mainly support AMD gpu which I also use AMD laptop & PC.
But before IO decide to install I'd like to ask is it safe to install on Mint 17.1?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ph0z3

Re: Is it safe to install linux kernel 3.18 in Mint?

Post by Ph0z3 »

what kernel are you currently running? and what version of mint?

-- major question, for what reason(s) do you want to move to 3.18?
MintMaid

Post by MintMaid »

gmilo2 wrote: I've had it work with no issues and I've had it break (though by booting to the grub menu can just select the previous working kernel). I recently installed ?3.16 from the mint repository but couldn't boot so I'm going to stick with the 3.13 kernel.
Thanks for the "user's experience" below the links that's what I looking for.
Sometimes Gathering data on google is not enough I need "user's experience" as well.
Ph0z3 wrote:what kernel are you currently running? and what version of mint?

-- major question, for what reason(s) do you want to move to 3.18?

I've this problem on Mint 17 before so I'd like to ask this before
After install ati catalyst my laptop splash screen & resolution get smaller from 1366x768 to 1024x768 & can't resize.
While I don't have ati catalyst problem with Ubuntu & Xubuntu at all. I want to learn how to fix this on Mint 17.1.
xorg may reliable for first install but they don't have ati video & graphic managments.
Also I want to turn on crossfire 6650m+6520m to speed up my 3D games a bit.

I want to know does Mint users ever dare to install 3.18 version or always stick with 3.13?
If I don't want to know from Mint users I won't ask here.

Linux to learn. There're some stuff that require some libraries or later kernel that missing from Mint.
I've test both Xubuntu & Mint by install same amount of stuff seems Xubuntu runs fine all of them.
While Mint missing some libraries to work with some of my stuffs.
So I want to manage my stuffs to turn on Mint properly.

I'm also learn to upgrade GTK+3.0, GTK+2.0, Python, Qt libraries as well not only Linux kernel.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=184565
Ph0z3

Post by Ph0z3 »

sssoooo... you're wanting to build your own?

IMO, would just stick with the longterm.

I know it's EOL and no longer on the boards, but 3.16.7 is the last stable. I am currently running the LL version on m-17.1

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... .7-utopic/
MintMaid

Post by MintMaid »

Ph0z3 wrote:sssoooo... you're wanting to build your own?

IMO, would just stick with the longterm.

I know it's EOL and no longer on the boards, but 3.16.7 is the last stable. I am currently running the LL version on m-17.1

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... .7-utopic/
Thank you for info I'll consider about 3.16 & 3.18. If it's gone black screen.
or gone wrong with steam I can revert back to 3.13 anytime with grub customizer.
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

I would encourage you to try out kernel 3.16.0-25-generic as it's easily installable via the Update Manager (click on "View" and "Linux kernels"), and gives you and easy one-stop-shop to see all the kernels you have installed and such. My PC is on 17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit with an nVidia GPU and Intel NIC, and it's running 3.16.0-25 perfectly. :mrgreen:
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Understand that the kernel updates affect the open source AMD drivers, not the catalyst driver. If you are using catalyst, the fixes will not affect you. Furthermore, catalyst may actually fail to build on newer kernel. As a general rule, AMD catalyst supports a new kernel, when Ubuntu makes it their default kernel for a release. right now 3.16 is default on utopic.

I have a PC with a llano APU, and roughly the same GPU. I get best results by using the open source AMD driver. I would start by trying to remove catalyst if that helps.

As for crossfire, I'm not even sure hybrid crossfire works in Linux.

finally, Cinnamon is just buggy sometimes. Try live booting the KDE or XFCE version to see if the problem persists.
MintMaid

Post by MintMaid »

@EmpireITtech
@mr_raider
:D Thank you for guiding. I'll consider 3.16 version first to see some change.
I'm also use llano as well it's a6-3400m. I'm planning learn to undervolt cpu from 1400 to 2500 later.
About gpu I've sourceforge.net/projects/amdovdrvctrl/
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Just to be safe, remember to image backup your system prior to upgrading. Clonezilla or Redobackup will suffice.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Dyfi wrote:Just to be safe, remember to image backup your system prior to upgrading. Clonezilla or Redobackup will suffice.
Mint comes with Timeshift which is very easy to use.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux”