Why I Chose Linux over Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kyleb000

Why I Chose Linux over Windows

Post by kyleb000 »

About a week ago, I've ditched Windows and installed Linux. After a while of using Linux, I came to a conclusion. Linux (in my opinion) is much better than Windows, and this is what I'd like to share with you. This post may not be you're story, but it is mine. But it may also be your story.

(a) Up until Windows 8, I was fine with Windows, but Windows 8 changed all that. I soon got sick of it very quickly, and here's why. It was slow, because of all those “features” (which I couldn't close) took away most of my computer's processing power, leaving me virtually nothing left to use. Most infuriating, was the fact that these “features” turned out to be very overwhelming. For example, when I go onto the start page (it's no longer a start menu), I expect to find the shut down or restart button readily available. But what do I find? News, cooking recipes, health and fitness buttons, finance, all the useless junk I don't need. And where are those buttons that I desperately need? Hiding on the top of the screen. Totally not what I was used to and quite overwhelming when you're new to Windows 8. That's not the case with Linux! Linux at least has a start menu, and it's quite organized (sorry Win7). Yes, I know Linux is different to Windows and I did have to dedicate some time to learn how to use it, but once I did, I realised that Linux is a very comfortable environment. First, there are no unnecessary applications that are running (I hope), secondly, it's not nearly as cumbersome as Windows (well, once you learn how to use Linux), and finally, it is quite lightweight, not taking as much processing power as Windows (I can clearly justify this by the speed of the online games I play).

(b) We all know that with Windows, actually installing the OS is just the start of all your troubles. There are accounts you HAVE to set up (especially with Windows 8 ), there are drivers to install, there are other unnecessary software that also needs to be installed, etc. Plus there are other worries: do I have the latest security features, can I even afford them? Do I have the latest drivers? Why do I even need all this junk (it happens, especially if you just want to use a computer to do basic things like send e-mails etc.) Believe me, I got tired real quick with all those unnecessary steps. But Linux says otherwise. Once I removed Windows and installed Linux, it was all there; music and DVD players, LibreOffice, Adobe, etc. I was so relieved I had to do no unnecessary installations.

(c) Since Windows is “closed source”, only Microsoft can edit the source code. Which means, if there is a bug, you can only do so much as to hope for the day Microsoft will fix it, which can take about a month. But a month is too long to wait. That bug may have corrupted ALL your data and possibly destroyed your computer before Microsoft even releases the patch. Linux works a little bit differently. For one, it's open source, so anyone can access the source code and edit it, which means bugs can be fixed in a matter of days (at the most) or even a couple of hours. So whenever a bug is found, you can be safe in the knowledge that it will be dealt with very quickly (that is, if what the pro-Linux blogs are saying is true).

(d) This is my favourite topic. This, for me, is what puts a big fat solid wall between Linux and Windows. And the topic is... software. Oh yes, this is where the big difference can be seen. Let's start with Windows. Let's say you're a book writer and you just installed Windows on your new computer. You need a word processor. What must you do? Go to the Microsoft Store and BUY Office and then install it. Great, now you can finally write your books. But wait, you get a message from Windows saying you're system is under threat and you need to get anti-virus software. So what must you do? Go hunting for a suitable anti-virus software and buy it, install it and restart. Great, now you can work. But can you see? You've already shelled out $400 - $600 just to get up and running? Such a lot of money for writing books, and it doesn't end there. But it doesn't have to be like that. With Linux, you download the OS (which is free) and once you install it, everything is there, so you can immediately begin writing your books. Worried about security? Don't worry, your computer will be protected. Linux will see to that. Security is at the heart of Linux, so you don't even need to get anti-virus software. So you see, you spent exactly $0. Great, you just saved $600.

(e) My next topic also includes software, but to a different degree. With Windows, you have to often buy software from different websites. So what if Windows 8 has a Store, it is mostly filled with useless apps anyway. You have to go to multiple websites to download and buy your software. And that's what I like about Linux. All the software you need (OK, so occasionally you have to go to websites and download software) is in a Software Manager. And the best part... the free stuff? THE FREE STUFF? Oh man, when I went into the Software Manager, I was like a kid in a candy store. Everything you need is there, even professional software.

(f) Another reason why I'm glad I chose Linux over Windows. Games. Games might seem like a dumb reason to switch to Linux, especially when all games support Windows and most don't support Linux. Some hardcore gamers say they won't switch to Linux because it can't play their games. LIES! With Wine, CrossOver and steam, you can play any game you like. Especially with CrossOver. When I first started with Linux, I thought to myself, 'How will I play my SIMS when it can't play on Linux?' That's where CrossOver comes in. Yes, you must pay for it, but if you're a hardcore gamer, it's worth every cent.

So, all in all, that's my reason as to why I chose Linux over Windows.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Why I Chose Linux over Windows

Post by Kalyk »

Thanks for sharing your considerations.
- I have a few more.

In order to sell new software and to make vendors sell new hardware all the "features" you mentioned are made. So it is usually not the user who benifits.

In order to keep selling more expensive licenses the software is crippled. RDP (Remote Desktop) is only allowed from one or two other machines, because otherwise all old pc's could have the heavy stuff on one central heavy Windows machine at the cost of one license.

Installing software is crippled. You always need to install a license key and this makes that an installer takes forever to finish. And don't forget to uncheck the option that will change your browser for the third time and add jet another search bar.

Installing 8 updates under Windows takes an hour plus a reboot of half an hour (because of stuff being done while shutting down and while starting up) where installing 100 updates under Linux (not only system, mostly software) takes 5 minutes in which you can just keep on doing your work, you don't even have to shut down the program which is being updated.

The kernel developers always try to make the kernel better and make things run faster. So an 11 years old laptop I have runs the latest kernel very nicely, it just can't always keep up with modern graphics.

Perhaps I will edit this post later, problem is there are more advantages then I have time for at the moment.
Last edited by Kalyk on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Why I Chose Linux over Windows

Post by Pierre »

in theory, at least, all of of the older program written for the windows O/S,
will work on a later release of the windows O/S.

however, reality is somewhat different - some do, some don't.
& the number of those that don't, continue to increase, with each new version of the windows O/S.

so, even though, many, many software programs were written for the win_XP O/S,
many of them won't work on the latest releases of the windows O/S.
- and that's probably quite deliberate.

the end result, is that you *will* be forced to upgrade to a later version of the windows O/S - eventually.
& most of your other software programs, - as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Chat about Linux”