Why I'd Rather Use Windows 8 instead of Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Re: Why I'd Rather Use Windows 8 instead of Linux

Post by 1.618 »

Night Wing wrote:
I hear tell Facebook can tell you what your operating system platform is.
Any website can, your browser user agent tells the site what os you have so stuff works properly, you can change this though, I'm using mint 17 but my UA should be telling websites i use windows.

I haven't got a FB account to double check but if that's not what you meant then i apologise.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

/dev/urandom wrote:How is that Windows's fault?
It is not Microsoft's fault but the vast number of sneaky, nasty developers is a huge part of the larger Windows experience that I want to avoid.
Users of either OSX or Linux do not have to deal with the challenges involved in trying to keep a Windows PC clean.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
peteetongman

Post by peteetongman »

author probably still has training wheels on his bike :lol:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

OrangeShark wrote:Don't worry guys, Microsoft later failed him. :lol:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/2014-the-y ... y-loyalty/
As they say...
Revenge is a dish best served cold! :D
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

jimallyn wrote:I refuse to let myself get upset about the things that morons say.
The best comment in this thread was the first one. :mrgreen:
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Guys, it is just a personal opinion of somebody who clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.

I used to get weekly emails form a self exclaimed Linux expert, working for About.com. He would write stories like: the 4 best webbrowsers and why one is not so good, or The best 4 e-mail programs and one who could be better.
Obviously his personal opinion, but please don't write it as if it is the truth. He writes stuff about why nr.2 is not as good as nr.1, reasons for me to chose nr.2.
I cancelled my subscription to his mails now, I can't read this any longer.

It's the same as with the guy writing about Win 8, his personal opinion. Just forget about it.
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

Although the thread title looks like "flame bait", I will relate my experiences over the weekend: My wife was away for the day, so I had a block of "playing time". I had a spare hd, and a Windows 7 install dvd that had been laying around for a couple of years. So I thought "why not?". I partitioned the hd to ntfs, and started the install (lenovo thinkpad). Finished, did the MS registration thing, and started Windows Updater. Choose the automatic mode. Rebooted, and low and behold: Windows Update process was hosed. Okay, back to square one...dd'd the first couple of sectors of the hd, and re-installed. Did windows update again, this time choosing Custom mode. Was careful about what I updated. Rebooted, and Surprise! hosed again. Looked around with a web search to find which update was screwing the works. Tried a few FixIt's..still no joy.

I stopped to make a pot of coffee, and while it was brewing, I looked at the borked laptop and longed for the utility and simplicity of aptitude, app-get and synaptic. I then turned darn thing off, and went back to playing with Linux. I will say this: I used DOS 3.1 all the way to DOS 6.2; Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98, XP, and Vista. Each edition seemed to be more buggy/unusable than the last, with the possible exception of DOS 6.2. Will I ever use Win 7, Win 8, or Win 10? Not in this lifetime. They are not worth the effort. Not even if Win 10 were free; not worth my time.

Regards,
Bob
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

Is this an ironic attempt to prove him right ironically?
Patience is a virtue, but there are no saints left in this world.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Clickbait.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Not to be rude or anything, but the author of the article under discussion has moved on, the article itself is over a year old, and the OP of this thread hasn't participated in a while. Do you think we should ask for it to be locked?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Heh ...... not the first time some gawp off that site's trolled linux, it's one of the poorest tech sites I've seen and I'd never normally click any link that had zdnet or whatever it is in the link, wouldn't give the place any credibility there's far better sites for real content .........
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Fred Barclay wrote:Not to be rude or anything, but the author of the article under discussion has moved on, the article itself is over a year old, and the OP of this thread hasn't participated in a while. Do you think we should ask for it to be locked?

I agree with Fred, it's time to lock this thread/

Return to “Chat about Linux”