Just installed Arch today, really liking it.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohnBobSmith

Just installed Arch today, really liking it.

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Hello all. I just installed Arch Linux today. I didnt really like debian's style of releases. Like, the stable, testing, and unstable release system. However, I did agree with the rolling release idea. I had tried Gentoo a while ago, and I have better things to do than watch text go by for hours on end, only for it to not work... So I found Arch as a happy medium. My system is up and running, with fluxbox as the window manager, and no desktop. I'm really loving it! I do think that Arch, and of course Linux Mint on the laptop, are for me. My laptop has a permanent /home with Mint. The desktop is for testing other distros and such. It took me a few hours to install, though that was due to incorrect mirror setup. Meaning the downloading of packages took 4 hours... I dun goofed there! Its all good now though.

All in all, I will be sticking with Mint for a very, very long time. I will also be using Arch for equally as long. Even on the first day of Arch, I highly reccomend it as being a really good system for the more advanced linux user. Not quite Gentoo, not Debian, but a happy medium that is what you make it out to be. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Just installed Arch today, really liking it.

Post by killer de bug »

The day 'apt' will be working fine in Arch, Arch will be the perfect desktop :)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Not really much wrong with pacman, Killer... :wink:
(or its GUI's... Octopi, Pamac)

Octopi (showing Cinnamon 2.4.5-1 installed)..

Arch (Budgie Desktop)
Last edited by GeneC on Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

The day 'apt' will be working fine in Arch, Arch will be the perfect desktop

I've had Arch updates fry the install more than once, and dropped it when I discovered that Mint 17 (actually starting with 13) with fluxbox is just as "light", or lighter, and just as fast as Arch*, and far more reliable, as in completely reliable.

*Arch booted about 2 seconds faster than Mint...after a few thousand boots you'll make up for the time you spent debugging.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Chat about Linux”