Linux user getting first UEFI computer (not asking question)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BlackVeils

Linux user getting first UEFI computer (not asking question)

Post by BlackVeils »

I've been a Linux user and geek for 3 years and 8 months, with no need for Windows. I use only a laptop:

- Acer Aspire 5738z
- 15.6" screen
- Intel Pentium T4400 dual core processor
2.4ghz, 64-bit, 1mb cache
- some tiny weird Intel graphics
- 4g ram

It's always been compatible with Linux for my usage, never had a problem, never had to fix anything for it.

I've had that laptop for about 4 years now, its perfect for me except for the processor/graphics which was released about 5 years ago, its not powerful enough to cope with today's web experience etc.

YouTube videos cannot be full screen or HD. I can't watch other videos unless I make the web page zoomed out for very small viewing size. compressing and uncompressing large sized archives (over 100mb) is too much. virtualbox is unusable now. and the worst is loading web pages in a web browser, slow. anything else is obviously problematic, like virus scanning and rare times I do a quick video editing project. I get plenty of use from cpulimit command line tool for this - its really good.

I don't require mass amounts of processing power, the most intensive task is usually lots of web browser usage, and a bit of video a watching in the browser.

I thought I would avoid the hassle of a locked down Windows 8 computer until mine simply dies of old age. but i knew a change had to be made some day. I've been casually looking at the laptops in various shops online, researching a little here and there, comparing processors. recently I decided the time is now, I found one that i was comfortable getting to work with Linux:

- Acer Aspire E5-571
(there are different versions of this)
- Intel Core i3 4030U dual core
1.9ghz, 4 threads, 3mb cache
- Intel HD 4400 integrated graphics
- 4gb ram
- colour black

I know its fairly new for the Linux world, but I didn't want to get an older processor, its about 7 months old.

it will arrive on Monday 1st December. I'll probably have to charge it first, then I will boot silly Windows 8.1 to:

- check everything works
- make a backup of the OS, you never know when it might be needed, though I haven't used Windows in 3 years and 8 months.
- burn a rescue dvd
- shrink the partition to smallest possible safe size
- disable fast startup feature which causes hibernate on shutdown, not dual boot friendly.

next will be onto disabling the relevant settings in BIOS (UEFI), and seeing how well it works trying to install Linux Mint 17.1 cinnamon. I don't expect it will work right at first, as the Ubuntu 14.04 base was released at about the same time this processor was released, but Ubuntu has point updates that add hardware support, maybe it will be enough to get through the installation at least.

I know it could be a few months of trying various setups, but I understand and am willing to do that to stay with Linux. plus it could be worse, if I were to be someone who chooses nvidia, amd, hybrid disks or graphics, wireless internet and external devices like printers, etc.

I hope to use the LTS 17, probably will need to do full updates, risking stability, and maybe install default kernel used for Ubuntu 14.10, which is 3.16, versus current 3.13 I think, also risking stability. if I have problems, then back to Xubuntu I go for version 14.10.

--- Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk ---
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux user getting first UEFI computer

Post by Pierre »

do have a look across this Tutorial:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126

- also - another way - is to simply remove the win_8 hdd,
- replace it with another, blank hdd & install Mint 17 onto the new hdd.

that way - you only have to contend with turning the secure_boot thing OFF.
- the win_8 hdd - keep that - for warranty reasons.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
pagester

Re: Linux user getting first UEFI computer (not asking quest

Post by pagester »

I love your answer Pierre. Besides hard drives are so cheap these days, and it makes perfect sense.
No need to create a possible problem warranty wise, and I just go nuts reading about dual boot issues.
:^)
Cardenio

Post by Cardenio »

That setup should work perfectly with Mint 17, no kernel upgrade needed. I'm running an i3-4010U with 4400 graphics, just about exactly the same.

I also have a T6600 laptop with what I'll assume are the same "tiny weird Intel graphics" as yours, but with none of the problems you describe on Mint 17.

>>Edit<< I see you have a T4400 laptop, I mistakenly read T6400.
BlackVeils

Post by BlackVeils »

I didn't want to change disks, I couldn't anyway because of warranty, and no access compartment.

my problems with previous laptop were in every system, even Windows.

everything worked, but I had to boot into UEFI after installing Mint, to choose the Linux OS as first boot option to get grub, but havent tested the odd looking Windows entry yet (i have no need or interest to use Windows). I've seen some UEFI setups, and mine is very basic thankfully, its hard to process the busy and complicated versions.

I had to install a kernel because I couldn't change screen brightness, not even with reboot, it was really bright, I had to irritatingly wear sunglasses.

everything else seems fine, but its too early to say yet. there is screen tearing when moving windows around, so I need to check video watching.

>> Edit:

as for a couple of you being wary of dual booting...

I've done loads of installations and multi boots over the 3 years and 8 months, I have always done the partitioning manually, and am comfortable with partitioning. over time I picked up bits of information about Windows 8 and UEFI, but recently I did plenty of reading, long comprehensive guides etc. despite this I did not assume it would work, I know the computers/OS's vary. the point is I have to start somewhere, and I'm willing to be without a laptop for a small amount of time, and I know it could take a while before I can settle.

I have no use for the dual boot, but I figured I should just leave it alone, as I have no need to remove it all. I even left the recovery partition on the HDD, I do have an Acer factory backup on external disk though.

--- Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk ---

>> Edit:

the Windows entry worked fine.

other things i installed were intel and mesa updates.

still screen tearing but so far has not been an issue for video watching, only a small percentage of my computer time is videos anyway.

its is strange how the temperature never goes over 49, although it did when i tested some full screen video for a short time (full screen is a rare requirement for me). the only thing i havent tried yet is video editing, something i only get the urge for once in a long while, only for the result, not the process. it zoomed through my comprehensive setup scripts, installing software quickly. i like having USB 3.0.

i did the brightness tweak to stop blinding backlight upon startup every time. you add this line to the end of /etc/rc.local file (but before exit 0)

Code: Select all

echo 279 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
specifying the number (level) of your choice, it goes up to 990 or something. here is the guide: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-14-04/
it is simple stuff really.

and for immediate backlight change in live mode, i discovered i could enter these commands:

sudo -i
echo "279" > '/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness'
exit
BlackVeils

Post by BlackVeils »

my mistake, its not screen tearing, its choppy, when moving windows. after much searching, i had only found bits of information, and didnt think it would help. i had already updated all things in synaptic relating to mesa, intel and xserver. i installed kernel 3.16 but dont think its necessarily needed. nothing helped until i added this line:

CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
into /etc/environment
it seems to be gone now. its slightly gittery when moving windows, but no longer choppy.

Return to “Chat about Linux”