Linux and Android

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheCatalyst

Linux and Android

Post by TheCatalyst »

So I'm new to Linux, and I've made a few posts about my installion and getting drivers. I had a new quesiton pop into my head as I was pulling some files from my phone to my computer. If Linux "can't" get viruses how come Android can since Android is based off of Linux right?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux and Android

Post by ajgreeny »

I don't think android gets true viruses as does windows, but it can be infected with some other malware, as can Linux, which is probably what the android security suites are guarding against.
colyn

Post by colyn »

Malware can infect any OS. Android users commonly refer to malware infestation as a virus which isn't really the case..

Most malware infestation on the Android comes not from infected apps but instead from visiting websites such as <violates forum rules> sites..
Maik

Post by Maik »

Thanks for asking the question, The Catalyst, as I was also wondering that, especially after reading this article on the BBC: 'Sophisticated' Android malware hits phones.

Leaving aside the distinction between viruses and malware (OK, a virus is just one type of malicious software), and whether most Android malware is delivered via dodgy apps or dodgy websites, what prevents Android malware spreading to Linux boxes?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Android and a Linux Distro like Linux Mint don't have the same rules for installing software.
With Android you are almost always a Root user leading to much greater dangers... :wink:
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

TheCatalyst wrote:If Linux "can't" get viruses how come Android can since Android is based off of Linux right?
1. There is malware for Linux in the wild.
2. Windows and Linux share similar anti-malware mechanisms (sudo / UAC).
3. Android uses a lot of BSD code too.

Return to “Chat about Linux”